Learning to do a handstand...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sco74s

Gymnast
Hi all,

So I've decided to learn how to do a handstand, but could do with some pointers.
I've read loads about this, and there doesn't seem to be a right or wrong way to learn, but I'd still like to hear any advice you may have.

I can do a headstand, and have practised making my hands & head more in line to practise core stability, but still seem to be struggling with the handstand (I have only been trying for a couple of weeks though, so not expecting anything just yet).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

there doesn't seem to be a right or wrong way to learn
This is untrue for anything in gymnastics. There is usually 1 right way (sometimes more), and always a bunch more wrong ways.

Now for the handstand, you are in quite an arch. Pull your ribs in, hollow it a bit. And point your toes. You can try doing a handstand on a wall, but the other way (with your stomach and face towards the wall)

Good luck!

Sorry, probably not a great use of wording... I was trying to say that there seems to be loads of different ways to learn.

Yes, I've tried to 'un-arch', (why I look in the mirror), but cant work out how to?
What do you mean by pull your ribs in? Also, do you think that my shoulders are in the right position - should they be over my hands more?

I assume with wall facing handstands that I climb up the wall and shuffle my hands towards the wall once my legs are up?

Thanks!!

The un arching will take care of itself when you do a lot of the wall handstands. If you arch in those, you fall over so you won't. What I mean:
IMG_20180904_162534.jpg

WOW! Those are some seriously talented kids! Thanks for sharing the video.. I'll try and follow it.

Facing the wall would be better to promote good form. As you walk your feet up the wall think about pushing the floor away through your shoulders. When you hit vertical aim to maximise the distance from hands to feet, eg.push floor away and grow toes up to the ceiling.

Your starting point is good though, with your feet raised on the block. From that position you can do a "half" handstand where you get your bum and shoulders over your hands, so you are in a handstand but open piked.

To get what Jard is saying about hollowing try making a handstand position but lying on the floor. You can do this on your front and on your back. In both instances you need to reach your hands and feet to opposite sides of the room. Your hands and feet should be just slightly raised off the floor and you should be able to roll between front and back while maintaining that. Your head position, as in handstand, needs to be quite neutral. You can glance at your hands, but with your eyes rather than your whole head. You can also set up mat stacks with a gap so that you can lie supported at knee and shoulder and hold a straight shape in between.

There's more in terms of how to kick up and how to fall out safely so you can learn it away from a wall but that's a good starting point.

In the video you can see that they roll out when they overbalance. That's a nice get out from an overbalance because it allows (in fact requires) that you keep the handstand shape and body tension while overbalancing and only change shape to go into a roll as your shoulders approach the floor. When learning a handstand you inevitability overbalance a lot and tend to anticipate it. If you plan a reaction that requires you arch like bridging out, or twist, like pirouetting out, you will end up doing those things in your handstand.

Thanks for the tips Tumbellina! I'll make sure to only roll out when I overbalance.

There doesn't seem to a substitute for practice, so I guess I'll continue to try :)
I'll update a video as and when I make progress :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back