Leo stitching issue

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Alie21

Proud Parent
Hi all - hoping for a bit of advice on leo problem.

A few months back DD chose this great new GK leo at a meet. On first wear she had rub marks around her shoulders and she complained it hurt her. I assumed we had got it a bit too large - oops didn't try it on - she is always a CL size in all her other GK leos and I assumed it would fit to the same measurements. I contacted the distributer to see if this model had any known issues - no other problems reported but they said the different fabrics fit a little differently and they would replace it if it still had its tags (well no! but nice of them anyway).

Anyway at the next meet I get her another one (yeah $$ right but she was so disappointed!) and we try them all on and get the CL again - perfect for her measurements. We have another look at the other one and to cut a long story short, the issue isn't with the fit but with the stitching around the arm/neck holes. The black thread doesn't sit entirely flat and is really rough compared to all her others.

What should I do? Pick it out and re-stitch? I don't have an overlocker, just a regular sewing machine. Should I get a professional to do it? Contact the distributer and ask them what I should do?

Leos are really expensive in Australia, and we both really liked this one :(

Thanks for any suggestions!

I'd consider taking pics and sending them to GK. Sounds like a quality control issue and that they should replace it...

I have had this issue with a bought Leo. The stitching (which looks like an overlock stitch on the back but is actually done by a cover stitcher as it has 2 lines of straight stitch on the front) was super raised and dug into and rubbed my skin. I didn't do anything about it - it was a cheap plain coloured Leo - I just don't wear it. If it's an expensive one I'd speak to GK and see what they say, though they may say there's nothing to be done about it.

In that case I'd be tempted to re-stitch (am I right in thinking you now have 2 of the same Leo with the same problem?) particularly if you have 2 to play with! I make Leo's so I'd be pretty confident about zig-zagging some new elastic on, but if you aren't you could take to a dance wear maker or seamstress experienced in that sort of thing?

The stitching (which looks like an overlock stitch on the back but is actually done by a cover stitcher as it has 2 lines of straight stitch on the front) was super raised and dug into and rubbed my skin.

Yes this is it exactly - sorry you had the same issue :(

am I right in thinking you now have 2 of the same Leo with the same problem?)

No thankfully not. She chose a different model and the stitching is just fine on the newest one. Looks the same but the thread is much softer. It was comparison with the new one which made me realise what the issue was!

Thanks for the suggestion of the dance wear maker. I might ask at the dance shop tomorrow for a recommendation. It was $60AUD which is pretty cheap for a new GK leo in Australia :eek: but it such a great pattern and she still looks wistfully at it. It's one of those sublimated Lycra leos. She works so hard I'd like for her to be able to wear it :)

normally the bottom thread on the coverstitch is "Woolly nylon" which is quite soft. If they have used a different thread it may make a difference, a seamstress should be able to re-stitch it for you.

Hi☺ Ive had a local leo manufacturer alter/ fix a problem leo -pm me if you' d like details.

But first I'd try GK to see if they'll help.

Good luck ☺

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back