Parents Leo styles

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm not a fan of Sylvia P leos for gymnastics in general (they are the current suppliers of MG Elite's leos). To me they look like dance leotards. Don't get me wrong, they are gorgeous in their own right but not my personal preference for gymnastics.

Interesting about the code - those were definitely spaghetti straps!

I don't personally care for them. They look like cheap lingerie to me, and I am not a fan of sexualizing little girls. I just find it icky. I certainly understand that everyone has their own taste and opinions, so I am sure that many would find it just fine/ beautiful. So glad that my daughter's gym doesn't go in that direction.

So are we talking the MG Elite leotards? They do seem to be made of a different type of material .. almost like a thin cotton? I kinda of liked them, but felt they were too thin in the front and looked geared more toward dancers?
I asked my daughter if she knew of a somewhat in appropriate leo recently and she actually knew which one I was talking about. She too thought it looked like a beautiful ballet leotard- but that there was no good reason for it not to be fully lined. I agree.

Reactions: sce
They also posted a photo recently of the elite girls in a different leo that had better coverage in the front but was completely backless. It just looks uncomfortable. I can't imagine trying to compete in that and forget about finding a bra if you're at all curvy. I honestly don't consider myself to be particularly conservative in this regard but there's a point where it just seems unnecessary.

Unnecessary is a good way to put it. I just looked at the elite Leo’s. Is someone forgetting that these athletes need support without worrying that they will fall out of their uniform.

They also posted a photo recently of the elite girls in a different leo that had better coverage in the front but was completely backless. It just looks uncomfortable. I can't imagine trying to compete in that and forget about finding a bra if you're at all curvy. I honestly don't consider myself to be particularly conservative in this regard but there's a point where it just seems unnecessary.

I actually love those teal green leos... for a dancer in a performance.

I asked my daughter if she knew of a somewhat in appropriate leo recently and she actually knew which one I was talking about. She too thought it looked like a beautiful ballet leotard- but that there was no good reason for it not to be fully lined. I agree.

Yes, those definitely look like ballet leotards. They look out of place in a gym. And if they were ballet leotards, they would be lined. (Side note: Every adult-sized ballet leotard I have ever purchased has been at least partially lined, no matter the color or fabric. I have never understood why gymnastics leos aren't lined. It is a real problem for older kids.)

And while we are on the subject--what is the deal with the cut of college leos? My daughter and I felt sorry for Katelyn Ohashi while we were watching the video of her perfect 10 floor routine because her leo looked so skimpy and uncomfortable.

I am not a fan of it, but I could see how little ones would like something new and different. It is no worse than dance outfits, which is what it reminded me of, with the thinner fabric. Doesn't seem stretchy gym leo type fabric but that is hard to see from a video. From the instagram video, the fit was too loose. Not sure if it looked better on girls with tighter fits. You would definitely need a clear-strap bra for the older girls. I thing the straps could be hidden in bad/sides but not shoulders with spaghetti straps. Is this a whole team leo of just for lower levels?

According to pictures on Instagram, there were level 9s and level 4s wearing it. My child would not be wearing it. If it has any semblance to lingerie, my CHILD will not be wearing it. It’s crossing lines that don’t need to be crossed. This is where parents need to speak up. It’s their money paying for that leo. It usually only takes one brave enough to speak first, and then others will follow. Out of that many athletes on a team, I can’t believe all of those parents were ok with that leo.

I'm not a fan of Sylvia P leos for gymnastics in general (they are the current suppliers of MG Elite's leos). To me they look like dance leotards. Don't get me wrong, they are gorgeous in their own right but not my personal preference for gymnastics.

Interesting about the code - those were definitely spaghetti straps!
I think they may still be waiting on their ACTUAL competition leotards and possibly decided to wear one of their practice leotards??

Here I'm pretty sure leotards have to cover the shoulder bones and the straps must be more than 2 inches wide or something. So the straps and the back wouldn't be allowed. Definitely looked like dance leotards. Pretty and lovely for a dance class but not for training or competing gymnastics.

I saw posted on a Facebook group that they are practice leotards, and there was a photo of their competition leotards they are waiting for- even less gymnastics like imo- they are laced in the back with dangling strings and a weird fabric twist. Super pretty for a leo, nice for a dance leo, but odd, odd choice for a gymnastics leotard. I cannot see how anyone could wear a bra with them.

I saw posted on a Facebook group that they are practice leotards, and there was a photo of their competition leotards they are waiting for- even less gymnastics like imo- they are laced in the back with dangling strings and a weird fabric twist. Super pretty for a leo, nice for a dance leo, but odd, odd choice for a gymnastics leotard. I cannot see how anyone could wear a bra with them.
Those are really pretty but I wondered about those big beads on the ends of the strings. Would really hurt if you had any choreography on your back.

Those are really pretty but I wondered about those big beads on the ends of the strings. Would really hurt if you had any choreography on your back.
And would be really unfortunate if it got caught on something or cake loose. Just a really impractical design.

Many (most in my area) gyms in Australia use Sylvia P for their competition leotards. My daughter’s current club does (her previous club did too) and it is just another horribly expensive not particularly memorable long sleeved competition leo.

In general they are well made, solid looking leotards made out of the usual fabrics. I have not seen any unconventional Sylvia P leos on the competition floor here. In fact criticism of them over past years has always been about how they aren’t cut as high on the leg as some brands.

Maybe the lines are beginning to blur between their dance range and their gymnastics line.

Some of their gymnastics training leos are more like the ones in the pictue.

I am very surprised though that, with the choice you have over there, any US club is choosing to go with an Australian brand.

Sylvia P really does have some gorgeous designs, but even putting aside if they’re appropriate for gym or should be for dance... I thought they were all lined? They should be.

I just looked at my daughter’s. Both styles are fully lined down the front. I don’t know if this is typical or if this is what her club ordered. My daughter does not have any Sylvia P training leotards because they tend to be a little more expensive than other brands.

Even so, the R&P states no spaghetti straps in comps and they wore them in a competition. There are plenty of other practice Leo styles that are actually legal, so I don't think so. Plus, they are pretty fancy and costly for just practicing in.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back