Off Topic Leotard Leg Seam Binding

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lyddie27

Coach
Gymnast
Hi all-
I am embarking yet again on a leo-making project. Before, I really struggled with adding the elastic to the leg holes. I just saw a blog post where someone had used foldover elastic to bind the edges, which looked really cute when done in a contrasting color. I think that this would work great for the neck and arm holes, as minimal gathering is required there. However, what do you experienced leo sewers think about using it to bind the leg holes? I'm worried that it may not be strong enough. (I think I'm going to try using Jalie 3138.) If not, any advice for using that clear elastic and stretching, pinning, and stitching?
Thanks!!

I'm not a sewer by any means - but a friend and I did make a few Leo's for fun. Ended up being too small in the torso, but look pretty good. I did fold over elastic for the arms and neck, but legs I thought it was too "awkward". So I did normal 1/8 inch elastic there. It really just took practice - did lots and lots of scrunchies, practicing with the fold over. Don't pull too tight, maybe 50% stretch. Hope that helps.. good lick

FOE can be good for the arms and neck on 3138, but make sure its big enough ( at least 7/8). Swimwear elastic is better on the legs, the you can either use a zigzag to topstitch, or a coverstitch if you have one.

These have a FOE binding

IMG_20161114_1142431_zpslusaxrjz.jpg

Thank you both so much! Looks like I'm sticking with 3/8" swimwear elastic for the legs, and battling the elastic. I assume that you zigzag stitch (no serger or cover stitcher for me) the elastic on the wrong side, then fold over and zigzag again? I'd be inclined to "wrap" the fabric around the elastic the first time, sandwiching the elastic between two layers, but that doesn't seem to be how Jalie says to do it. I think that way would make the finished product look much neater on the inside, but would require larger seam allowances. Thoughts?
I already ordered 1 inch foldover for the other bindings. Wish me luck!

@agtc0424 Did you make a casing, or stitch the elastic directly to the fabric? 1/8 in seems so thin! I suppose a casing would be easier, but I'm worried about such thin elastic digging in

The elastic on the legs is actually one of my favorite parts of leo making, I find it oddly satisfying. I do it the way directed on the Jalie pattern, typically the elastic is covered on the inside very well- unless I got a little sloppy. This video was really helpful as I was first taking a stab at leo making and desperately in need of a visual!

I did a casing, and just checked my elastic - it was 3/8. I thought 1/8 seemed small haha! I zig zagged mine. I also tried elastic directly to Leo and I'm not savvy enough yet for that[emoji13] by the casing working pretty well

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back