WAG Leotard Preferences.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We are never allowed to wear shorts. which sucks because our group is the oldest girls in the gym, and the artistic girls are allowed (it is the T&T HC, not the gym that enforces it. there would be a lot less griping if it were gym-wide). We are also never allowed to warm up in anything else, and it is often freezing.
As a result of said rule i now have tramp burn on both hips from learning codys.

Our team girls wear the long leggings over their leos for practice, especially when it's colder. Shorts in the summer. Never just sports bras. They have to go without shorts/leggings the day before a meet.

We saw a very interesting thing at a meet this weekend. A gym where their level 4 & 5 teams only had one long sleeve on their leo. Their other sleeve was tank. The level 3 team has only a tank leo and their optionals have two full sleeves. I guess they are taking the "earn your sleeves" thing to a new level. It looked a little weird and asymmetrical.

@Gymnastisism I suspect I know which gym you mean, we've changed there recently. This particular gym has a reputation for being somewhat "laid back", at our old gym all the girls wore leotards and the boys trained in their comp leotards, none of this bare chested stuff. I wonder if they will be considered less laid back in the future now that there have been some coaching changes...

At our gym most all of the girls are in leotards, I've seen the older girls in Leo's with the gk shorts, and rec classes I have seen kids wearing anything from leotards to loose basket ball shorts

At my girl's gym, all club kids wear leotards. Strictly no leggings, though they are allowed shorts while training bars. Interestingly, the boys are allowed to go bare-chested, with their leos rolled down but things are much stricter for the girls; competition etiquette at all times from how they have their hair to what colour socks they wear to warm up. I can't imagine what would happen if a girl turned up in a two-piece ensemble with their stomach bare, and I can't imagine which girl would try it.

At my daughter's gym, team girls all wear leos and most except the very youngest wear GK type shorts as well. It's cold here in winter so they are allowed to wear fitted pants for warm ups (GK, Under Armour etc) and some girls keep them on if they are cold. However they must be fitted as the coaches want to be able to see their form (i.e.; straight legs on beam etc)

The girls will also wear a sweatshirt or fitted T and socks just for warming up. Again, cold winter here but at pickup you see girls walking out in shorts!

Everyone wears their hair up and no one is allowed to wear baggy shorts/ts. No one wears sports bras/shorts as they do on Dance Moms....very happy about that! Can't imagine it working on bars?!!

All of our girls wear leos. Some opt for the tight gym shorts (specially if its that time of month). No loose clothing allowed. Boys wear t-shirt with shorts. Now my DD has been wearing Leo's since day 1, shorts occasionally if "anything" is showing or can be seen through her Leo. And im going to be extremely glad that she is going to have light hair so that if she wants to wear a light colored leo she can. Ill just leave it at that as I am sure some of you know what Im talking about haha. not like looking is intentional, im not like that, but sometimes its inevitable lol.

I coach at two places. One place is at the club here in town and normally I just coach rec kids (but once in a while I will get asked to help with team/pre team if a coach is gone). The other place is for a high school team not too far from where I live. When I was a gymnast, everyone on team in my club wore a leotard only so when I got to where I am now it seemed weird to me, but I am getting used to it.

Club- For rec kids many kids wear leotards of different kinds. Of the leotards you see about half the kids wearing normal leotards (with or without shorts) and the other half of kids wearing leos usually are wearing a unitard (the leos with built in shorts) or dance leotards with skirts attached. The other kids wear shorts and shirts and usually they are tight fitting. We try to enforce the 'no sports bra and shorts only' thing but when it was 100 degrees and humid a couple of times this summer and the building was not air conditioned very well I let the rule slide. However I did make it clear that it was only because it was so hot and humid and that normally either a leotard or shorts and a shirt are required. If a girl shows up in just a sports bra and shorts we ask them if they have a t-shirt or a sweatshirt. If they don't we go get an extra staff t-shirt from the coaches room and make them wear it. As a coach I personally prefer it if the child is wearing a leotard (shorts/tight leggings are okay too as long as they're not too baggy). The team/pre team girls are required to wear a leotard with or without tight shorts (I don't think I have seen a single one of the girls go without shorts though).

High school- For some reason sometimes the girls show up and think its okay to practice in a t-shirt or tank top and spandex shorts/leggings. This bothers me so much. For little kids I don't mind (they are usually easy enough to get a grip on) but for older girls I don't like spotting because the clothing moves around too much. I don't mind when they wear leggings with a leotard, but they have to wear a leotard. Also, we practice in a school so we do not allow them to pull their leos down to their waist when they practice or just wear sports bra/shorts. The only time we let them have their leo half down is when they are warming up or just get finished with practice and have some type of shirt/sweatshirt on over the top.

All team girls at my gym are required to wear leotards. Everyone wears fitted shorts over their leotards too, though that's optional. Sometimes our coaches make us train without them to prepare for competition season. When its colder and even when its warmer we're allowed to wear fitted leggings and fitted athletic shirts over our leotards to keep warm. Personally, I've worn fitted work out tank tops that don't move from being in place and my coaches are okay with it. We're never allowed to wear loose clothing though, except sometimes when we're just doing strength or warming up.
Most of our rec kids wear leotards too, except for a few exceptions. We have a tiny pro shop for the class kids to buy leotards from if they would like onw.

Our gym has a leo only policy, no shorts. From what I see GK is the most popular and my personal favorite. However they don't specify brand at all.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back