WAG Leotard strap width rules

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wandrewsjr

Coach
Proud Parent
We have tank leotards for our level 4 and Xcel teams. We had a judge at a meet recently comment that they didn't think the leotards were "appropriate", that the straps were not wide enough. I have always thought that as long as they weren't spsghetti straps, they don't violate the rules. But after the judge made the comment, I have decided to try to find the actual USAG rule and am not having any luck. Any coaches or judges out there that can direct me to the actual USAG regulation refering to leotard strap width?

As long as they aren't spaghetti straps or backless you should be fine. According to the USAG JO Rules & Policies:
"H. Present herself in the proper attire (No bare midriffs, backless leotards, leotards with “spaghetti” straps, T-shirts or Boxer shorts). NO underwear (including sport bras) should be exposed. The leg opening on competitive leotards must NOT be cut or rolled above the gymnast's hipbone. A deduction for inappropriate attire will be applied for any infraction. Sleeveless leotards and unitards, as well as gymnastics footwear, are permitted for competition. Leotard and/or warm-up uniform should be worn for opening, award, and closing ceremonies."
http://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/Rules and Policies/2011_2012_w_rulespolicies.pdf

I can't really imagine how there would be any confusion about that, but a judge might be able to offer clarification.

Perfect! This is exactly what I was looking for. The judge said something about the straps needing to be 3 cm, maybe that is
the NCAA rule?

3cm is pretty narrow though, I wouldn't think many would be less than that.

The hip bone rule is never followed. Half the elites would get deducted for it. Their leos are cut disgustingly high and narrow. And nearly all of Nastia's photos show her briefs. I think it should be followed. I am sick of looking at stuff that should be hidden.

3cm is pretty narrow though, I wouldn't think many would be less than that.

The hip bone rule is never followed. Half the elites would get deducted for it. Their leos are cut disgustingly high and narrow. And nearly all of Nastia's photos show her briefs. I think it should be followed. I am sick of looking at stuff that should be hidden.

Yes, DD and I volunteered at a NCAA meet a few weeks ago and were out on the floor calling in scores and such. I later told a gym-mom friend, "If my daughter's leotard fit like theirs did, I'd be ordering her the next size up!" Wondering if there's some sort of atheletic advantage to showing that much butt, or if that's just the look they're going for?

A higher cut leo is said to make legs look longer/leaner making for nicer lines. As a stocky gymnast, it did seem to help somewhat for me, though they were never so high as to be obscene. Some girls go a little overboard.

I think the trend for the cut of the leos is to go higher, and show more. I think with the NCAA gymnasts if that is what they want, I'm not as concerned but with the younger girls I think it's not so cool. My daughters leo is very immodest, she had to order briefs in the same color as her leo - and they show. We both hate it. If she didn't have them, her hip bones would show and a good part of each butt cheek!
A higher cut leo is said to make legs look longer/leaner making for nicer lines. As a stocky gymnast, it did seem to help somewhat for me, though they were never so high as to be obscene. Some girls go a little overboard.

put a picture up and my wife said she'll let you know if it's appropriate or not. some judges go overboard with their 'position of authority' if you know what i mean.:)

E1867_000_front_Th.jpg
E1867_000_back_Th.jpg

Here you go

and she says that this leotard is MORE than acceptable. the judge, again, doesn't know what she's talking about.:)

Those are fine. I seem to recall though that there was a width rule years ago, but then in more recent incarnations of the R&P they did away it (basically as styles like the one you posted were manufactured) and went to the "no spaghetti strap, appropriate" wording. Now I'm noticing that technically with the full wording it seems that tight shorts aren't against the rules per se (only boxer type shorts are specified). Not that I would have gymnasts wear them as a rule, but we sometimes have girls around here that get permission to wear shorts for religious reasons. But it's usually treated as something you get permission from the head judge for.

In NZ, STEPS rules are the leotard must be non-transparent, neckline no further than half the sternum and no further than the lower line of the shoulder blades. Leotard may be with or without sleeves. If without sleeves, the shoulder strap width must be minimum 2 cm. The leg cut of the leotard must not extend higher than the hip bone. I think these were probably copied from FIG rules.

I would love to see the leos cut with more bum coverage especially in NCAA gymnastics. On many occasion they wind up looking more like a thong by the end of a routine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back