WAG Let's brainstorm to 2023

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Midwestmommy

Proud Parent
Let's brainstorm to 2023. Not for this week, or next year, or next Olympic cycle. So we are not talking about any current athletes or the current lineup of powerful voices in this sport. So trying to put aside some bias from the system you have grown up in or helped develop (and therefore bias against change that would negatively impact or challenge you or your athletes)....

20 years from now. The 15 to 20 year old elites in the sport have not even been born yet.

Where do you wish this sport will be? (or what don't want it to be)

Here's where I hope it is not:

Teeny tiny kids pushed harder, younger than they are today, with super scary skills resulting terrible injury rates, who needs the circus when you can go see these kids risk their lives.

Here's some of what I hope it is in the U.S.:

Very popular sport with strong club and high school teams in the U.S. More attendance at all levels--high school, college and elite events. Even more scholarships than today. The talk of the "decline" of the mens program in the US is a long distant memory, and the boys and mens program is huge, strong, and thriving.

Any one else? Any ideas on HOW to get there?

Well first I'm afraid 2023 is only 10 years away... so I hope to goodness the gymnasts have been born or something very bad will have happened to the system :p It's ok, my time is on a jet too!

In the UK I would love to see some sort of college gymnastics like you have in the US. I'd like there to be more opportunities for these amazing kids to work towards some sort of goal/reward for their efforts. At the moment our competitive opportunities are pretty limited in comparison (number of meets etc) and once you get to junior/senior level even more so.

I like the trend towards gymnasts staying in the sport longer and hope that the healthier bodies, longer and stronger careers thing sticks around.

yikes! not sure i'll still be alive. lol. :)

1. a floor that is 45 by 45 with an air mat on top of the boards. men and women.

2. a vault on a scaffold that is 30 inches high so that a 30 inch resi can be the landing. men and women.

3. a 6-8 inch wide beam.

I agree with your first two Dunno, but I think just a better padded, more spring-y 4 inch beam would be sufficient. Personally, I can do anything I want on 8 inches, which is the dimension of railroad beam pads. It's not much different than the floor unless you have a debilitating fear of heights. Although I think railroad beam does have a good place in skill development, I'm not sure it would really stay true to the difficulty of the event. Perhaps 5 inches :)

I've always thought it would be interesting to change beam so that instead of one beam, there would be two sort of like a plus-sign. A giant 40 x 40 tumbltrak would be fun too.

I agree with your first two Dunno, but I think just a better padded, more spring-y 4 inch beam would be sufficient. Personally, I can do anything I want on 8 inches, which is the dimension of railroad beam pads. It's not much different than the floor unless you have a debilitating fear of heights. Although I think railroad beam does have a good place in skill development, I'm not sure it would really stay true to the difficulty of the event. Perhaps 5 inches :)

i'm thinking of the injuries to the ankles, foot bones, toes and groins (aerial cartwheels) that are caused BECAUSE the beam is only 4 inches. not to mention ALL those beam bites. :)

i'm thinking of the injuries to the ankles, foot bones, toes and groins (aerial cartwheels) that are caused BECAUSE the beam is only 4 inches. not to mention ALL those beam bites. :)

I agree that the surface is too unforgiving for the amount of acro being performed on it, particularly things like front tucks. But I think better padding and spring could help a lot of that. On the other hand the width is obviously a factor in the injuries of the "Nicole Harris right before the Olympics" sort. That is a pretty common injury.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back