WAG Leve 8 questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Texasmomof3

Proud Parent
I do not want to ask my dd, because i do not want to create extra pressure on her. And i don’t want to bug her coach, but I’m very curious.

My dd is trying to get in her first level 8 meet after an injury. She had much more complex routines, but they have scaled them back to just get her back out competing. I’m wondering what sort of deductions these routines will have for missing elements or not up to level.

Beam: switch leap, split leap/sisone combo, full turn, bwo/bhs combo, cartwheel/back half dismount. (She took out a standing back tuck and a ro into her dismount, but hopes to get them back in for state/regionals.)

Floor: 3/2 turn, ro/whip/bhs/back half combo, switch leap/straddle jump, fhs/flo. (She took out a back full and a front pike, and added the whip to get her third salto. She also used to do a quarter turn in her straddle but scaled that back.)

Are these still technically compliant level 8 routines? What kind of deductions will they have for not up to level?

Fine as long as the split leap on beam is actually a split jump, otherwise routine is missing a B.(jump makes much more sense in that combo though) The routines are well balanced, getting their difficulty from both acro and dance so really will only take a small up to acro level compositional deduction, between 0.1-0.2.

Fine as long as the split leap on beam is actually a split jump, otherwise routine is missing a B.(jump makes much more sense in that combo though) The routines are well balanced, getting their difficulty from both acro and dance so really will only take a small up to acro level compositional deduction, between 0.1-0.2.

I actually read it as a split jump and counted it as a B when I read it haha - but yes this is correct - as long as it is a split jump.

As I am not from the US, feel free to jump in if I am incorrect. But isn’t a full twist required for floor in level 8?

The SRs for level 8 tumbling are 3 total saltos with two saltos in the same pass. There is no SR for a full.

Most girls do compete a back full for one of their B skills, but a back half is also a B skill. My daughter is having trouble twisting out of the whip (she just learned the ship this past week), so they switched it over to a back half for the first meet, until she can comfortable.

Forgot to mention, my daughter did almost the same beam routine, but had a FWO in hers as well and replaced the switch leap with a split turn.

One more question: anyone know the state qualifying score for level 8 in TX?

Due to late coming back from injury, she will only have one meet with all four events to try to qualify to state and is completely stressed out about needing a huge score. For levels 6 and 7, you needed a 34 to qualify to state, but I read online that for level 8-10, it is actually lower.

I thought there were as well. No forward skill on beam equaled .05 to .1 dediction...no 1.5 and ending with lo on floor carried a built in deduction also (no idea what it is tho, someone out here enlighten us).

Attachments

• IMG_20180206_222324.png
    IMG_20180206_222324.png
    727.9 KB · Views: 32
I thought there were as well. No forward skill on beam equaled .05 to .1 dediction...no 1.5 and ending with lo on floor carried a built in deduction also (no idea what it is tho, someone out here enlighten us).

Ending with a LO is a composition deduction because you have to end with a B element...at least that is what my dd coach told her

No
That doesn't seem to be the case based on the image that Jard posted.
No but we were flat out told that at a meet....by the judges...but unfortunately they did not tell my dd what the deduction was....so...oh well....is what it is. They did tell her that if she did a 1.5 and then the full at the end she qould not have the deduction, but my kid isnt ready for that yet, hah!

At least 90% of girls here end with a layout or even a tuck. Most do the full or 1.5 line first then the second line is the two-salto line ending with the lay/tuck. We hardly ever see routines with 3 lines.

Why are judges deducting differently than what USAG prescribes? So weird.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back