WAG Leve 8 questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

No

No but we were flat out told that at a meet....by the judges...but unfortunately they did not tell my dd what the deduction was....so...oh well....is what it is. They did tell her that if she did a 1.5 and then the full at the end she qould not have the deduction, but my kid isnt ready for that yet, hah!

My guess is that since she opens with a 1.5 which I believe is a C and ends with an A she can get a deduction for imbalance of elements - all the hard elements first and easy at the end. If you are opening with a 1/2 or a full (Bs) and finishing with a layout (A) there really isn’t a composition deduction.

My guess is that since she opens with a 1.5 which I believe is a C and ends with an A she can get a deduction for imbalance of elements - all the hard elements first and easy at the end. If you are opening with a 1/2 or a full (Bs) and finishing with a layout (A) there really isn’t a composition deduction.
This is very interesting. She starts with a full and finishes with a layout. She was told she could not end with an A skill. Hmmm. I don't get it. But it is what it is! :)

Ending with a LO is a composition deduction because you have to end with a B element...at least that is what my dd coach told her
But a FLO is different than a BLO... a FLO is a B (last salto or a salto in the last pass has to be a B). A BLO is only an A.

At least 90% of girls here end with a layout or even a tuck. Most do the full or 1.5 line first then the second line is the two-salto line ending with the lay/tuck. We hardly ever see routines with 3 lines.

Why are judges deducting differently than what USAG prescribes? So weird.
I think it's based on the "distribution of elements" piece in the composition deductions. I haven't gone over my level 8 stuff in a bit so I might not be 100% informed, but I judge high school gymnastics which is similar to level 8 and that's how it works. It's pretty subjective, so I couldn't fault judges for collectively coming up with an unofficial rule that helps them know when to take the deduction. Something like "Deduct .1 for no B salto in last pass" is a lot easier to decipher than "insufficient distribution of elements."
With the code written the way it is, there are those athletes that do an up to level first pass, 2 easy passes, and then throw a high level jump/leap into the end of the routine to try to balance things out to avoid composition deductions and that leads to a pretty subjective call that will vary from judge to judge. The No B salto in last pass variation, as unofficial as it may be, is so much more cut and dry for both judges and athletes. And really, it's .1- so if a B skill in the last pass is iffy, that's a pretty easy choice to make.

This is very interesting. She starts with a full and finishes with a layout. She was told she could not end with an A skill. Hmmm. I don't get it. But it is what it is! :)

That's what my dd's coach is telling her too...but if her full doesn't look great at warm ups she does a LO

upload_2018-2-8_23-8-14.png

These are the Special Requirements. The last salto performed in the routine, wherever it is, must be a minimum "A." I'm not sure why a judge would say it had to be a B when it doesn't. I had said that there is no up to level deduction, but upon reviewing my books, there is a deduction for "Acro elements not up to competitive level. " They need saltos or aerials in 2 different directions, but not all 3 directions. And there is only a deduction for not having a B salto at all in the exercise, as in if all the Bs are dance elements.

View attachment 7122
These are the Special Requirements. The last salto performed in the routine, wherever it is, must be a minimum "A." I'm not sure why a judge would say it had to be a B when it doesn't.
Maybe the judge also judges high school? I know that around here, the last salto or a salto in the last pass has to be a B for High School or it is a deduction and they (basically) use Level 8 rules, but with a high school bonus structure.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back