Level 10 bar question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mpkbt

Proud Parent
I need a little help with a scoring deduction for level 10 Bars. My dd had a good bar routine this weekend and got a 9.150. Her coach thought it was a little low and asked the judge. She said she took .3 off for a rhythm deduction because she swings too slow. My dd has been an optional for 8 years and has never been told this. She is a slow gymnast, she is slow on everything. She tumbles slow and she swings slow. However, she keeps a constant pace throughout. Her coach was really befuddled by this deduction. He is not sure if we should even try to fix it. This judge has been around the sport for a long time…..she judges college meets all the time. What should we do?

Makayla Betz - Lady Luck bars 1/21/12 - YouTube

This is not the actual video but it is pretty close minus the fall on the dismount.

wow! the only glaring deduction in that bar routine is the knees bend on the reverse hecht (tkatchev). that was a great routine and should go 9.2-9.4 hit solid. and could be a 9.5 depending on the competitive field.

the translation for ".3 off for a rhythm deduction because she swings to slow" means that she fell asleep sitting up and wasn't watching. there is no such deduction.:)

I agree with dunno, should be a 9.3 to 9.4 with solid landing. In addition to the knee bend, also think there is a flat 0.1 deduction for more than one squat on at level 10. But the .3 off for rhythm sounds to me like a "saw another routine today that I liked better and gave that one a 9.2, so need to come up with a deduction to get this routine down to a 9.15" deduction.

I agree with dunno, should be a 9.3 to 9.4 with solid landing. In addition to the knee bend, also think there is a flat 0.1 deduction for more than one squat on at level 10. But the .3 off for rhythm sounds to me like a "saw another routine today that I liked better and gave that one a 9.2, so need to come up with a deduction to get this routine down to a 9.15" deduction.

yes, correct.:)

You guys really made me feel way better! Thanks for the input! I guess we will see the next time she judges her...and she will!

I also think there is a flat 0.1 deduction for more than onesquat on at level 10
You are correct. She has the hecht but keeps chickening out at a meet....She needs a little more confiidence and I think she will put it back in!
This was her "summer routine" and then she changed to the blind half.

Bars update 10/3/11 - YouTube

I actually saw her compete this past weekend and her routine was nice...in the video there are a few short handstands so maybe that, I don't know...I always figure when a score isn't quite what i thought it would be , I chalk it up to the fact that it is a judged sport...I also thought I remembered somewhere along the line that a judge has a .3 (plus or minus) for "impression points"so if they really liked it , you'd be rewarded but if they felt they liked another routine more, then you wouldn't.....but i wouldn't worry about it too much, she looks strong, and a 9.15 isn't a shabby score:)

That is a really nice routine!! Dinged .3 for being slow?? Have to agree with the coaches---the judge liked someone else a little bit more.

honesty...there is no such deduction. i told my wife this and she said...well...i can't type that here.:)

Well we have another meet this weekend in California so we will see how it goes!
Dunno....that is too funny!
Bookworm....Small world! Did you guys enjoy our meet and did you enjoy the college meet? What did you think about the crowd at the college meet?

Well we have another meet this weekend in California so we will see how it goes!
Bookworm....Small world! Did you guys enjoy our meet and did you enjoy the college meet? What did you think about the crowd at the college meet?[/
QUOTE]

**********************************************************************************************

mpkbt-We did enjoy the meet , nicely run, and once we got to Utah, pretty easy to get around. The college meet was great and the crowd was really into it(although I must say, I found the whole Greg mustache thing a little odd )...but from everyone we talked to (and not just at the meets) , going to Univ of Utah meets is part of the social life out there!!

Bookworm....Small world! Did you guys enjoy our meet and did you enjoy the college meet? What did you think about the crowd at the college meet?

mpkbt....the only thing I did think was a bit much was a $35 charge per day for admission (it was $12 a session and 35 for the day) ...I have been to meets all over the place, including Nationals, and I have never paid that much for a day pass.

Just a follow up.......9.35 on the bar routine this weekend. She did the hecht but kinda dead hanged. I will post video soon.

that means worse bar routine...and better score. see how it all makes sense?:)

and 1 of my most closest friends, Mary Wright standing right by the floor. she was the coach of Olympian Melissa Marlowe.

good bar routine. same "slowness". better judges. better score. :)

dunno.....Mary is my daughter's coach! Missy's daughter was also at that competition.

kevchriswilli....which session were you in? Small world!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back