WAG Level 10 Junior or Senior Division 2017?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Would a Level 10 gymnast whose birthdate is October 2001 compete in the Junior division or the Senior division in 2017? I was under the impression that if they were turning 16 prior to 12-31-17 that they would have to compete all of 2017 as a senior. A gymnast recently competed at three meets in January 2017 as a Junior. In fact, she competed in yesterday's meet in the Junior division. After the results were announced her coach claims he/she made an error and that she is a Senior and should be awarded 1st in the Senior division (although she only competed against Juniors). I am totally confused being a spectator, not a gymnast. Can someone clarify?

Age groups at Nationals and age groups at invitationals are not the same. The age groups used at regionals and nationals don't get announced until later this season. Invitationals can do the age groups however they want, they usually follow the dates of the meet weekend.

JO cut off date goes by last day of Nationals.

Elite cut off goes by calendar year, Dec 31.

Wanted to further explain my answer but couldn't edit lol. JO (level 10) meets can use any cutoff they like as the first reply indicates, but I was referring to meets where they use ages as a grouping. (12-14, 15-16, etc) that's where usually it's the last day of nationals but the meet host can also pick some other date.

I am going to assume we might be talking about Nastia Liukin cup here. I believe age groups for the cup go like elite, what age you turn the calendar year, junior is 15 and under, senior 16 and up. That being said, invitationals that serve as qualifiers can set up the age groups for awards for their meet however they want. They may designate the younger half of level 10's as "junior" and older half as "senior" and give out the awards based on those age groups. But if they then have spots to give for Nastia Liukin cup, a junior spot must go to someone 15 and under, a senior spot to someone turning 16 or older by years end(even though the girl that got a senior spot may have been competing for an invitationals awards against mostly junior age girls). Hope that made sense.

After the results were announced her coach claims he/she made an error and that she is a Senior and should be awarded 1st in the Senior division (although she only competed against Juniors). I am totally confused being a spectator, not a gymnast. Can someone clarify?
No matter what, that is just poor sportsmanship. Coach needs to let it go.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back