Members see FEWER ads

Jard.the.gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
So at nationals there was a girl who scored a 10.0 on vault:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BT0APmQgPBv/

Now, i read the level 10 vault chart
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1494346555.415880.jpg

When DO vault actually get that 10.1? The girl above didn't fall or recieve a spot. So was there still a 0.1 deduction in there or did the judges simply didn't know about this rule?

Just curious[emoji854]

I believe her start value was 10.1 and she received a 0.1 deduction. From the video I saw, although a beautiful vault, I would say she didn't technically stick the dismount, so maybe that was the deduction.

The landing wasn't perfect - a bit of a squat, and you could argue whether she took a step or just used her off balance to turn it into the salute.

Very nice vault. It's on Instagram and elsewhere if you want to try to find it.

Ah I was curious about that myself. Even to my untrained eye I could tell the vault was not perfect. A bonus makes sense. It was an amazing vault nonetheless!

Agreed, it looked like the step a bit of a cover up but it was still a beautiful vault.

Are judges allowed to score more than a 10? I thought 10.0 was the limit and that the 10.1 start values allows you to have a minor deduction and still score that 10 (theoretically).

Reactions: sce
Are judges allowed to score more than a 10? I thought 10.0 was the limit and that the 10.1 start values allows you to have a minor deduction and still score that 10 (theoretically).
racheal flamm has a 10.05 as her personal best on vault...

My understanding is that the judges score the vault (take deductions) then add the tenth back in. I thought the highest in JO they could officially score was a 10.0. So even a technically perfect bonus vault would still only score a 10.0. Also, a bonus vault with a tenth deduction would score a 10.0. I saw this vault in person, and it was beautiful! To my untrained eye it was deserving of the score she received. Very tough to land a 1.5 without bending your knees to absorb the landing...I don't consider that a squat, but I am no judge! ....Of course after watching this one, I went back to watch all of the 1st place vaults to see what sets this one apart from the rest...several very clean bonus vaults scored in the 9.8 range with stuck landings, other non-bonus vaults with hops on the landing scored in the 9.8 range as well.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back