Parents Level 3 bar routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

notthatmom

Proud Parent
on the L3 bar routine, does anyone know what the "requirement" is for the "tap" they do with their feet on the mat before they do the pullover?
DD is very short and after she does the initial swing thing (not sure what it's called) she very quickly swings back then swings forward to do her pullover....and her toes kind of touch the mat lightly, or they may not even hit at all. I've seen most girls stop completely with both feet planted on the ground and then jump up to do the pullover but she's so short I don't know if it's even possible for her to do that...is there any sort of deduction if they don't "properly" stop before the pullover?

Just curious.

http://www.ornawgj.info/Resources/Documents/comp bars QR v1.pdf

It seems there is a deduction of 0.1 for an extra jump, hop, or step, plus up to 0.3 for not taking off simultaneously for the pullover. Without seeing your DD do the mount, it's hard to say, but they shouldn't "jump" up to bar to do the pullover...they should lift up into a chin up and do the pullover. I would imagine is she didn't stop and lift up, she would receive the 0.3 for not taking off simultaneously?

Gotcha, I guess I was wrong when I said "jump" .....she just doesn't really stand there and stop (the "return" per the link I believe) before she pulls up to do the pull over, she kind of just brushes her feet on the mat because her feet barely touch the ground

[QUOTE="amiandjim, post: 486078, member: 18259"I would imagine is she didn't stop and lift up, she would receive the 0.3 for not taking off simultaneously?[/QUOTE]

Her legs are together, so it wouldn't be a "one leg take off"
It really doesn't specify where the feet are to be upon return, just that the hands are both firmly on the bar prior to lift up to pullover

Hmmm

Gotcha, I guess I was wrong when I said "jump" .....she just doesn't really stand there and stop (the "return" per the link I believe) before she pulls up to do the pull over, she kind of just brushes her feet on the mat because her feet barely touch the ground
The coach SHOULD have a mounting block for her to stand on until she is finished with the glide and pullover because they are supposed to return to stand.

Would failure to return to stand and then perform the pullover be considered a text error? I really have no idea, but find it all fascinating.

The coach SHOULD have a mounting block for her to stand on until she is finished with the glide and pullover because they are supposed to return to stand.
At meets we were not so fortunate when our child was this level. Even in a sport where shortness seems revered, at times it hampers them...

At meets we were not so fortunate when our child was this level. Even in a sport where shortness seems revered, at times it hampers them...
Did the coach ask for one? At every meet we have attended, there is a springboard or springboard shaped block that can be used at bars and another at beam.

Did the coach ask for one? At every meet we have attended, there is a springboard or springboard shaped block that can be used at bars and another at beam.
Same for us. Never been at a meet in 6 yrs where spring board or block wasn't used on bars. A couple of our short kids still use them.

At our meet today. Nearly every kid started off the block. I only watched Level 3-8 All but the three tallest L8s used the block to start. Level 4 and up they pull the block away after they start.

My daughter's first year of old level 4 the coaches forgot many times how small she was and she would just hang from the bar and pull up and over.

Somebody was yanking your chain. It is allowable at all levels AND, according to R&P, they are supposed to have them available.

Also, for really little ones, it is permissible to have an 8" mat under the bars the entire time… it is however, recommended that it be the same size as the competition landing mat.

You can't pullover off the mounting block. It's not allowed. You can jump off it for the glide but it has to be removed and they can't touch it after they grab the bar in the glide.

You don't have to stop after the glide. It's okay to kind of punch off the toes. Sometimes they don't push hard enough against the bar though even when they can touch so they sort of do this arch whip thing, especially if it's not easy for them to touch the ground. I'm not sure what reason there would be for any child to perform the routine on a bar higher than they can reach from the floor (and therefore need to pullover off a mounting block). They should be able to comfortably reach the bar from the competition landing surface.

You can't pullover off the mounting block. It's not allowed. You can jump off it for the glide but it has to be removed and they can't touch it after they grab the bar in the glide.

You don't have to stop after the glide. It's okay to kind of punch off the toes. Sometimes they don't push hard enough against the bar though even when they can touch so they sort of do this arch whip thing, especially if it's not easy for them to touch the ground. I'm not sure what reason there would be for any child to perform the routine on a bar higher than they can reach from the floor (and therefore need to pullover off a mounting block). They should be able to comfortably reach the bar from the competition landing surface.

This. However, if you put the bar all the way down and put an 8 incher under it, even the tiniest of little 6 year olds should be able to touch the floor without too much trouble.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back