Parents Level 3 bar skill variation

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SMH

Proud Parent
My gymmies coach mentioned to her she could do a kip instead of a pullover and a basket swing instead of a mill circle for her bar routine this season- has anyone else had their kiddo do this? My daughter is very excited about the possibility of switching up skills, but since her pullover and mill circle are solid, I'd hate to see her get killed in her scores this season for a less than perfect kip/basket swing.

My daughter's level 3 team all competed kips, and a couple of girls did a basket swing, as they struggled more with the mill circle. They all scored well, but I think would have competed kips anyway even if they hadn't, since they will need that for every level in the future.

My daughter's level 3 team all competed kips, and a couple of girls did a basket swing, as they struggled more with the mill circle. They all scored well, but I think would have competed kips anyway even if they hadn't, since they will need that for every level in the future.

Interesting! I never saw a kip competed all last season in level 3, let alone a whole team! I bet it was great practice for level 4!

Reactions: sce
It was good practice, and definitely helped them start level 4 confidently, with connected kip casts. I would say there were 2 other clubs we competed against regularly in level 3 with multiple girls kipping. It was definitely the higher hours, consistently uptraining gyms doing so, though.

We don't see too many kids here doing kips instead of the pull over just for the potential to kill your score. A perfect kip is much harder than a perfect pull over just something to keep in mind. All our team did the Mill Circle. Only 2 competed the kip at states and those girls are moving to level 4 or 6 this summer depending on uptraining etc.

Reactions: SMH
DD's team is all repeating L3 and the coaches goal is to have everyone compete with a kip during the next season. I only seen 1 team this season where all the girls competed kip. As long as it's a clean kip, I think your DD's scores will be good with a kip.

Bars has always been the strongest event for my DD. She did a kip at one meet as a L3 with great results. The next meet she didn't have time to warm them up and then it was states and she didn't want to possible lose points so she didn't do one. I think it proved to her that she could do it. She did giants at a meet this year as a L6, also with great results. Again, I think it will give her the confidence next year at (hopefully) L7. I didn't see too many kips at L3 or too many giants at L6.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back