WAG Level 3 bars-kip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ac7179

Coach
Proud Parent
What do you think the percentage of kids will be competing the kip?

With the start value the same, I wasn't sure if it would be just a few or if gyms would start to require a good kip for Level 3.

At our gym each of the girls have to have all of the rest of the routine STRONG and then they start working the kip. So my DD can do all of it well now, so she is starting to work on her kip. She will start out competing the pull over; but if she gets her kip during the season then I think the coaches will let her choose which way to start (if she has it perfect, if not I'd assume they'd tell her to keep with the pull over). from talking to friends at other gyms in our area, I haven't heard of many that will be starting with kips. But we start competing this weekend, so don' t have as long as some other areas (though we do have about a month until the next competition, so maybe things will change by September).

We are not letting the girls have them compete them yet. They haven't perfected it enough yet so it's just going to hurt them in the end. We will continue to work on them throughout the season and then if the kip looks great we'll put it in.... but just not yet :)

I asked Coach and he said most girls will not go for it in L3 because it is too risky. The deduction is too large if the kip is not perfect, with straight arms. There is NO bonus for competing with the kip, unless you think you may get brownie points for throwing a perfect kip....
Most of our L3 have the kip but it is a skill that takes time to mature. Most of them don't look good yet, but they will by L4.

I would guess almost none.. since even some of the girls in our gym who competed old 5 last year still don't have perfect straight arm kips all the time.

I would assume very few, although there may be more girls competing kips towards the end of the season.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using ChalkBucket mobile app

My guess, less than 10%.
I will have all my girls compete pullovers until they qualify to state. Then, the second year L3s, who have a (not perfect) kip, might be allowed to try their kip at invitationals. At state championships, they will do a pullover.

In Australia we have always had the option of doing the kip in level 4 (equivalent to your new level 3).

For us it is worth 0.2 bonus, but replaces 2 glide swings and a pullover.

In reality there are almost no kids of this level who can do the kip without quite a lot of deductions, but many people do compete it, as it is such an important bar skill to train.

We will have ours do the pullover unless they have a straight arm kip. Right now with 40+ girls on our team only a few have kips. Getting all of them to have decent routines is the focus right now. Soon we'll probably group them so the ones who are better on bars will be together.

I'm giving my veteran level 3s the option of competing the kip once it is clean. They understand that if they compete a yucky kip and someone else competes a clean pullover, the kid with the clean pullover will score higher (granted the routines are similar in deductions).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back