Parents Level 3 Conditioning - Too Hard?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

For gymnasts who come try out at our gym or move to our gym, that’s the main thing we hear about their transition—the conditioning! It’s a very main part of training for the gymnasts, and you can tell who’s new by the red faces and struggle and sometimes tears. But after a few weeks, they get used to it, although it’s still hard.

I work in a school, and kids today generally aren’t “pushed” or encouraged to work out past their comfort level. When I’m in the PE class in the elementary school, and after having to run laps (run the long side, walk the short side even!) on the basketball court for just 5 min, the kids are crying and coming to me and saying “my legs hurt, can I go to the nurse?” I’m not kidding! I tell them that it’s called Exercise, and the “pain” is from using their muscles. They want to then sit out the rest of PE class. That’s why gymnasts are awesome, they are so strong and fit!

Hopefully, as she builds stamina, she will find it easier and actually enjoy it.

We’ve had a few conversations with the coaches and the general feeling is - the conditioning weeds out who can handle elite gymnastics and who can’t. Maybe this just means she isn’t actually ready...
Conditioning weeds out who can handle ELITE gymnastics and who cant??? In LEVEL 3!!!! There is NO reason to weed out gymnasts for Elite in Level 3. It should be fun.

As for "Maybe this just means she isn’t actually ready..." ... you are right ... maybe she just isn't ready for ELITE gymnastics at Level 3.

I don't think I like your gym's attitude very much.
I do understand that conditioning is important, but multiple girls crying on multiple occasions means something has to change. If there are other gym options for your DD, I would seriously consider looking into them.

I remember even in the beginning she would leave the floor and refused to go back in. Coaches and teammates would try to comfort her but it only made it worse because she didn’t want the attention.

YES. This is exactly what is happening. How long did it take your daughter to adjust? Just the first 2-3 months? Really appreciate your feedback!

Conditioning weeds out who can handle ELITE gymnastics and who cant??? In LEVEL 3!!!! There is NO reason to weed out gymnasts for Elite in Level 3. It should be fun.
Very much agree that it should be fun! That was part of my concern...I completely understand conditioning is a part of it all, but I hate for that one aspect to ruin the sport for her.

I
YES. This is exactly what is happening. How long did it take your daughter to adjust? Just the first 2-3 months? Really appreciate your feedback!

I want to say it was a good 2.5 months.. I also think that it helped that the teammates/coaches stopped hugging/comforting her and instead kept saying “you got this!!” or even just ignored a few tears. I also learned to make myself scarce during conditioning.. ;) - if she did cry when I wasn’t there, her coaches would tell her to take a quick break, get a drink of water, and come back. Because I wasn’t there for her to run to, she learned to cope and continue on.

Honestly, at this age, talking with her about needing conditioning to create a good foundation and prevent injury just made her frustrated with me.

There are times she still struggles a bit, but overall it’s much much better.

Very much agree that it should be fun! That was part of my concern...I completely understand conditioning is a part of it all, but I hate for that one aspect to ruin the sport for her.
To continue in the sport safely and successfully, it will be impossible to avoid conditioning.

At some point she needs to accept that.

Our gym does 4 hour practices for level 3 too and there is a quit a bit conditioning. Not generally to the point of tears and our coaches make it as fun as possible (creative and fun since the kids are young). Conditioning is super important and will make skills easier from what I've been told because they will get strong and can do drills better. We practice 3 days a week= 12 hours and usually conditioning makes up a big part of it. Sometimes tears happen for various reasons when they get frustrated, they're pushing themselves and trying to do more reps for example. But if there tears often and from a lot of the kids I'd be worried and a red flag would definitely be up for me. The "elite" comment is an excuse and not necessary.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back