Level 3 team to do list

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What are some things that I should work on for team?

Like how long should I be able to hold a handstand?
And what are some other things should work on? And be able to do?

If anyone can help me I would be grateful Thanx - Kendahl

It depends what you want for the team. Is the major focus of the team competition at level 3? Or is the team focused on preparing to compete at level 4? I would focus a lot on conditioning, it is a good time to build up their strength, so by the time it comes to doing the harder skills they already have a good solid level of strength. I would also focus a lot on flexibility, this age is a great time to really develop their flexibility and hopefully they will maintain it.

I would also work on
Front tucks - trampoline, tumble trak or off a vaulting board
Lots of handstands, most wont hold it well yet, but this would be the goal
Press to handstands
Walkovers
Handstand blocking
Round off's
The first stages of kips
Back handsprings on trampoline and tumble track
Handstands on beam

I would also work on
Front tucks - trampoline, tumble trak or off a vaulting board
Lots of handstands, most wont hold it well yet, but this would be the goal
Press to handstands
Walkovers
Handstand blocking
Round off's
The first stages of kips
Back handsprings on trampoline and tumble track
Handstands on beam

Aussie coach has pretty much covered it, but if I may I'd like to add a few things you can do at home while you're not in the gym:

FLEXIBILITY, this is, in my opinion, one of the most important things required for team (another being handstands). One thing I tell ALL of my pre-team students is to work flexibility at home. While you're watching TV or doing homework, sit in a straddle, left and right-leg splits and any other stretches you do in warm-up. You may want to ask your coach what stretches would be best for you to work on during the week.

Also I would add bridges, and if your coach (and parents) say it's ok to do on your own, backbends. Bridges are easy to do on your own as they require no matting, and if you have a solid backbend doing them on the carpet is fine, but as I said, ASK YOUR COACH AND PARENTS first!

Just two things on a long list of requirements, but ones I believe are very important!

*edit* Sorry Aussie I didn't see that you had talked about flexibility in the first half of your post, my apologies!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back