Parents Level 3 to Level 5?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AlexsGymmyMom

Proud Parent
Since level 3 is not a sanctioned level is it possible to move from competing Level 3 last season to competing level 5 this season without competing level 4 at all? I ask because another girl at my daughters gym has all the skills to move to level 5 but she is not sure if they will move her or not. She is 7 years old and very talented.

There was a Mom here whose DD was a level 2 one year and the changed gyms and competed L5 this year and will prob compete L6 next season. It all depends on the child and on the gyms policies.

Hi, Bog!

AlexsGymmyMom, my daughter competed level 2 (AAU) last year then skipped up to train level 4. After six months, we changed gyms and the new gym put her at level 5, which is what she competed this past spring. She is now training level 6 / 7. Basically, what Bog said is right. It is entirely up to the gym, with the exception that USAG requires mobility scores to move up levels beginning with level 5. Also, keep in mind that the minimum age to compete level 5 is 7 years old. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Hi, Bog!

AlexsGymmyMom, my daughter competed level 2 (AAU) last year then skipped up to train level 4. After six months, we changed gyms and the new gym put her at level 5, which is what she competed this past spring. She is now training level 6 / 7. Basically, what Bog said is right. It is entirely up to the gym, with the exception that USAG requires mobility scores to move up levels beginning with level 5. Also, keep in mind that the minimum age to compete level 5 is 7 years old. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Hi Shawn--haven't heard from you in a while! How are things going? Hope Boo's gymnastics is going well!!!

As for moving from Level 3 to 5, our gym starts kids out competing at level 4 for both USAG and MDL. I guess it (skipping levels) would depend on the gym and the individual child's skill level and how they handle competition and the meets.

Thanks so much for the great information. I was talking to this girls mom and we were under the impression that you had to compete at least one meet at each level before you could move to the next. This girl is 7 and has her kip and squat on on bars and her cartwheel on beam. She is really talented...my daughter who is 9 is SCARED to death to do a cartwheel on beam. They are great friends and I hope this girl is able to move ahead to L5.

My DD who is 8 years old competed L3 last year and is competing L5 now. She has most if not all L6 skills and will compete that in November. She never competed at L4.

Last edited:
Level 4 is not a required level. As some have said some gyms start to compete at level 5 only. There is the age requirement of 7. I know if DD was old enough she would have skipped competing level 4 all together and went straight into level 5. Those darn age restrictions are just killing us. That being said I would see what the gym policy is on the skipping levels. If the gymnast has all of her skills and is old enough it is worth exploring.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back