WAG Level 4 bar question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Would they be able to use a pull over on low bar instead of a kip at competition and have coach spot kip on high bar? If so what sort of deductions would there be?

The pull over would be substituting/omitting a major element. Double the value. 1.2

The spot on the kip is .5, plus the judge will deduct the percentage of the skills that they felt the child did not complete on their own. That skill is also worth .6, so if they took half of the element, plus the spot, it would be a .8 deduction. I would be surprised if a routine with no kips scored higher than a 7, regardless of how well the rest of the routine was performed.

My daughter just moved up to Level 4 to finish out the season (3 meets remaining). She does not have her kip (only L4 skill she is lacking). She had her first L4 meet the other day. She scored a 6.400 on bars with no kip and no spotting from coaches. She attempted her kip on low bar and high bar and when she didn't make it, she did a pull over. I thought the 6.4 from the judges was generous considering how the other scores were falling. There were beautiful bar routines (according to my untrained eye) with nice straight arm kips receiving low to mid 8s with only a few low 9s. Another gymnast had kips with bent arms and "muscled up" to make it and she scored a 7.200. This is our first experience with a L4 meet so we weren't sure what to expect with scoring. Overall the scores seemed lower across the board then compared to L3 but seemed consistent throughout the meet.

My daughter just moved up to Level 4 to finish out the season (3 meets remaining). She does not have her kip (only L4 skill she is lacking). She had her first L4 meet the other day. She scored a 6.400 on bars with no kip and no spotting from coaches. She attempted her kip on low bar and high bar and when she didn't make it, she did a pull over. I thought the 6.4 from the judges was generous considering how the other scores were falling. There were beautiful bar routines (according to my untrained eye) with nice straight arm kips receiving low to mid 8s with only a few low 9s. Another gymnast had kips with bent arms and "muscled up" to make it and she scored a 7.200. This is our first experience with a L4 meet so we weren't sure what to expect with scoring. Overall the scores seemed lower across the board then compared to L3 but seemed consistent throughout the meet.
One big difference is this is the level at which they start deducting for pauses in the bar routines, and those can add up fast. At this level, the elements should come right after each other and should flow into each other.

6.4 seems pretty consistent for routines where both kips are missed and there is not spotting. Never seen higher than a 6.8 without kips. We're still seeing low bar scores all around, but there have been a handful of 9.3 or 9.4.

One big difference is this is the level at which they start deducting for pauses in the bar routines, and those can add up fast. At this level, the elements should come right after each other and should flow into each other.

That makes sense and might explain the beam scores I saw as well. For example, my daughter scored a 9.150 (3rd place) on beam with two small wobbles. But, her beam routine flows very smoothly with no pausing (she is also very "dancey".....so we've been told). Another girl had no wobbles/balance checks but she paused.... a lot. She scored an 8.550. Incidentally, her parents were sitting near us and were not pleased. I am new to all this gymnastics "stuff" so I just keep my mouth shut and enjoy the meets. ;)

npgymmom, I didn't mean to change the subject. Thank you for posting your question! I have been wondering about bar scores in L4 as well.

How much of a deduction do you get for pausing? this is my daughters biggest problem with bars and she has yet to get in the 9's on this event...

JO Compulsory/Penalties/General Fault and Penalties/UB page 159. you could apply the following:
up to-.1 for concentration pause (>2 sec.) and up to -.2 for lack of continuity between elements (tempo)

Our staff explain to our gymnasts that the pause is a -.3 for each.

Best, SBG -

Would they be able to use a pull over on low bar instead of a kip at competition and have coach spot kip on high bar? If so what sort of deductions would there be?
=
oh man,,, lets forget about that for a second and address the mental aspect of competition. Wouldn't your DD be better off competing a level 3 routine and having some success, instead of being embarrassed at a meet not being able to make it through any part of her routine??? her score will be in the 5 range.... At the very least scratch her from bars, sounds like a potential injury too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back