WAG Level 4 beam deduction question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

blueberrygym

Proud Parent
Hi all...I have a question regarding deductions for level 4 beam. My daughter has had four meets and her scores have been consistently around 9.0. She looks pretty good, but of course, I'm no judge. For those who are judges, can you tell me if she's getting some major deductions for her mixed dominance?

I understand that you can reverse acro skills, but not dance skills. Here's what she does:
  • She does the lefty mount and then proceeds to do the lefty routine until she finishes the cartwheel.
  • After that, she takes an extra step back, does the lunge and does her rond de jamb/arabesque as a righty.
  • She continues as a righty through her split jump and straight jump series.
  • After a few more steps in the routine, she takes an extra step to do her half turn as a lefty.
  • She finishes the routine as a lefty.
Is her routine considered a lefty routine in the judges eyes? And if so, is she losing half the value of the rond de jamb/arabesque and split jump/straight jump for doing those as a righty?

Thanks for your help!

You are correct, only the handstand, cartwheel and dismount can be reversed, ands it’s half the value to reverse other elements. I would consider it to be lefty or righty based on the majority of skills in the routine, to benefit the gymnast. We ignore the acro skills.
Lefty - mount, turn
Righty - scale, leap, split jump, straight jump

Since the righty skills are worth 1.8 and the lefty skills worth 0.6, I would call it a righty routine and take 0.3. Shecould also be getting some small text error deduction for the extra steps, a tenth. It’s also entirely possible some judges didn’t notice, maybe just deducted the extra steps.

You are correct, only the handstand, cartwheel and dismount can be reversed, ands it’s half the value to reverse other elements. I would consider it to be lefty or righty based on the majority of skills in the routine, to benefit the gymnast. We ignore the acro skills.
Lefty - mount, turn
Righty - scale, leap, split jump, straight jump

Since the righty skills are worth 1.8 and the lefty skills worth 0.6, I would call it a righty routine and take 0.3. Shecould also be getting some small text error deduction for the extra steps, a tenth. It’s also entirely possible some judges didn’t notice, maybe just deducted the extra steps.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the leap! She does it as a righty too :)

Your explanation is very helpful. So it sounds like she might be starting out with a max score of 9.7 and all of the other deductions in her score could have to do with her form/technique/execution and those extra steps. Very helpful. Thank you!

I have a question out of curiosity. Does that type of reversal stand out to all judges’ trained eyes?

Because I almost certain that as just-a-mom, I would never in a million years pick up on it!

I have a question out of curiosity. Does that type of reversal stand out to all judges’ trained eyes?

Because I almost certain that as just-a-mom, I would never in a million years pick up on it!
Yes, because we see so many of the exact same routines, it does stand out to me. It's the having to do the extra step to get onto the correct foot to do the skill that makes it most stand out, since every routine has the exact same steps.

G
Yes, because we see so many of the exact same routines, it does stand out to me. It's the having to do the extra step to get onto the correct foot to do the skill that makes it most stand out, since every routine has the exact same steps.
Gotcha! Thanks for answering :)

That is such a good question. I would have never picked up on this either! It's only because my DD switched from xcel to compulsories and when she tried out for compulsories at one gym, they told me that she wouldn't be able to do everything on one side because of her mixed dominance. I didn't full get it, but now I can see the difference after seeing these routines over and over again at meets. I'm sure the judges see even more than I'm seeing though :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back