Parents Level 4 can’t get scores up/online help?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cg4456

Proud Parent
Gymnast
Hello there. Has anyone done the online lessons where you send in video of your gymnast and they go over deductions/what to work on etc?
Helpful?
Our daughter is looking really good aside from The Kip on bars. She is getting to the point now where she is getting very disappointed. The coaches build her up during practice, telling her she’s killing it, getting awards during practice, etc and scores consistently at bottom of each meet. We do not have any private lessons available where we live aside from her coaches and I don’t see how that would help as they see things in a different way than judges do.
From a PP perspective we just want to see her enjoy herself and let her be competitive. We could care less if she wins. It’s just now we can see it is affecting her and we want to give her every chance to get the most out of this before she wants to change sports. She loves practice and the whole ceremony of the meets. She really does look really good doing her routines. She has such high expectations and then gets shot down. She’s still young and she is not showing any signs of it affecting her in other ways so as long as she is happy we’ll keep her going.
we were never gymnasta so we rely on the coaches to tell us if she’s struggling. We read the forms that supposedly state deductions but again, we don’t know what we don’t know :)
Thumb typed on phone so pardon s

I found these series of videos to be pretty informative about deductions. She does the routines and then goes through her deductions.

She has them for all the events.
Good luck to your daughter! I totally get how she is frustrated. So is the biggest issue bars and the kip? How are the other events?

I found these series of videos to be pretty informative about deductions. She does the routines and then goes through her deductions.

She has them for all the events.
Good luck to your daughter! I totally get how she is frustrated. So is the biggest issue bars and the kip? How are the other events?

Thank you. Will check these out. Yes her only real hiccup is the kip. She muscles up with the lower bar Kip still but is very solid otherwise from what we can see and from some of the other videos that we have watched of the events. Her routines are extremely solid otherwise it seems to be very much minuscule things that is the difference but it’s enough of those little things that she is scoring substantially lower than her teammates and all the other girls. Coaches cannot seem to pinpoint why she’s scoring so low and the judges don’t give coaches feedback.
coaches said she looks at the scoring manual and the math doesn’t add up often based on the possible deductions that she could get.

Can you post some videos here from her meet?

I will try to get one up!

also, those videos are awesome. We learned so much watching those! Our daughter learned SO much watching those!!! She was amazed and never new of the majority of the deductions!:)

I remember seeing ads years ago in the USAG magazine (do they still do those anymore?) on services where someone would judge the routine and give feedback. I wonder if they are still in service.

There are some very generous judges on here who have happily given me feedback on my dd’s routines at every level, for free. You just have to ask :)

I try to figure this out at times too but the best thing is to leave it to the coaches. I think the preference is for parents to not coach the children at home or read into all the details to figure it out. If your coaches don't know what is causing the deductions, then maybe you need to try another gym. Unless you are a coach yourself.

I realized that judging does vary state to state, meet to meet...but, they are consistent for every gymnast at that meet at that time. Many of the deductions will be unnoticeable to the untrained eye as explained in some of the youtube vids. There are a lot of deductions for pointed toe, legs together, straightness, and little hops. So a routine might seem solid, but if you slowed it down, it probably wasn't.

Also, why is the gym giving out awards for practice? Sounds like a participation trophy which has been very well debated on it's effectiveness. Again, you could always test out another gym especially if she's consistently placing at the bottom. I'm not saying it's one thing or the other, but it seems it may be worth to try something else.

I try to figure this out at times too but the best thing is to leave it to the coaches. I think the preference is for parents to not coach the children at home or read into all the details to figure it out. If your coaches don't know what is causing the deductions, then maybe you need to try another gym. Unless you are a coach yourself.

I realized that judging does vary state to state, meet to meet...but, they are consistent for every gymnast at that meet at that time. Many of the deductions will be unnoticeable to the untrained eye as explained in some of the youtube vids. There are a lot of deductions for pointed toe, legs together, straightness, and little hops. So a routine might seem solid, but if you slowed it down, it probably wasn't.

Also, why is the gym giving out awards for practice? Sounds like a participation trophy which has been very well debated on it's effectiveness. Again, you could always test out another gym especially if she's consistently placing at the bottom. I'm not saying it's one thing or the other, but it seems it may be worth to try something else.

I hear yeah. We are not gymnasts in the past and and really don’t know what the heck to coach her on so we’re afraid to tell her almost anything for fear it will be something wrong. Problem is our coaches are learning themselves. They give big picture fixes in practice but nothing on nuance or details.
The first response above put those videos about the deductions and my daughter was so surprised and never heard any of those deductions before.

they get either a piece of candy or a little cheapie plastic toy or something when they do a routine well at practice. Or when they fix a problem they were told to think about etc.

I wish we could change Gyms unfortunately it’s not an option for us at this point and just want to make the most of it and get our daughter all the help she can so she doesn’t get discouraged.
We’re going to post some videos soon we don’t have any quality video that you can see really well at this point.

I hear yeah. We are not gymnasts in the past and and really don’t know what the heck to coach her on so we’re afraid to tell her almost anything for fear it will be something wrong. Problem is our coaches are learning themselves. They give big picture fixes in practice but nothing on nuance or details.
The first response above put those videos about the deductions and my daughter was so surprised and never heard any of those deductions before.

they get either a piece of candy or a little cheapie plastic toy or something when they do a routine well at practice. Or when they fix a problem they were told to think about etc.

I wish we could change Gyms unfortunately it’s not an option for us at this point and just want to make the most of it and get our daughter all the help she can so she doesn’t get discouraged.
We’re going to post some videos soon we don’t have any quality video that you can see really well at this point.

Yea, it's tough. Understanding the deductions from the videos is good and possibly good to review with your child just to have a better understanding of how it relates to her scores. I'm not sure what the ratio is, but you could say 50/50, 60/40 or 70/30...but the coach is a huge part of fixing things, instilling good form, and just being a cleaner scoring gymnast.

It really is tough, especially early on levels, that you are at a gym for convenience. Luckily for us, we have many gyms and decent quality ones around but we went for convenience as well, and the coaches are great and know their stuff. Hopefully seeing where some of the deductions were will be a good starting point to improved scores.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back