WAG Level 4 floor question - your opinion?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

here's a video of the gymnast who had the highest aa score at the level 4 state meet in nc last year.
how do you all describe this routine? (besides great? lol.)

I guessed that routine scored 9.7. I then looked at the YouTube comments, and sure enough, I was right! YESSSSSS! Score one for me!

Even to me, though, that routine looks just the slightest bit too robotic. I suppose that's just my opinion, though. Absolutely beautiful routine for sure. I guess I'm jaded now ever since watching Catherine Lyons and Eythora Thorsdottir!

Thanks for all the replies. Interesting how there isn't a real consensus. Well, dd had her meet today and she did well. After a disastrous beam as her first event, she rallied for the floor and managed her best ever floor score of a 9.6. I don't really remember even noticing how her arms were and I asked her later which style she chose and she didn't know either. lol. But she was very happy with her score!

I guessed that routine scored 9.7. I then looked at the YouTube comments, and sure enough, I was right! YESSSSSS! Score one for me!

Even to me, though, that routine looks just the slightest bit too robotic. I suppose that's just my opinion, though. Absolutely beautiful routine for sure. I guess I'm jaded now ever since watching Catherine Lyons and Eythora Thorsdottir!

I think I'm inclined to agree. There were definitely sharp, robotic moments. Great routine though!

Yep, that's how a L4 routine should look. Well, well done.

At the top of this thread there were a couple of posts and comments about how the style of 'sharp and tight' - perhaps a bit robotic - leaves less room for deductions in compulsories.... and from my years of observations at meets at those levels, seems to be true.

In optionals, since the girls pick music that best selects them and has more of an emotional connection to the gymnast, that robotic-ness seems to melt away in the top gymnasts. I'll bet this gymnast at L7 will have a gorgeous flow to her floor routine. (Would love to see it!)

I'll bet when

here's a video of the gymnast who had the highest aa score at the level 4 state meet in nc last year.
how do you all describe this routine? (besides great? lol.)

My daughter's reaction to the video. "That was really good." Judged it a 9.8.

This has been an interesting thread for me with a L4 DD who is working to increase her floor score. Particularly found the article and reference to seven places of contractions/extension interesting. The article showed three of them. What are the other four? Thanks!

This has been an interesting thread for me with a L4 DD who is working to increase her floor score. Particularly found the article and reference to seven places of contractions/extension interesting. The article showed three of them. What are the other four? Thanks!

Okay here are the contractions off my head, please excuse me if any are mixed up with level five:

•Before the three poses and run hop, you are in a position where your side has to contract
•Contract in the curtsy before back extension roll
•When you are getting out of splits and sit in a stag, you contract your back and watch your hand go around
•In the step, side passé, before you step prepare for the full turn, you tilt and contract
•Sequential wave before tumbling involves contraction
•When you circle down to the floor at the end, you need to contract your side and look the other direction before you fall
•Darn! Can't remember the seventh if there is one! It's probably pretty minor, hopefully on the list you found.

Hope this helps!

Yes, helpful. Thanks. Getting back to the originally posted question, my DD leans towards robot -- but sometimes looks stiff and small in her movements. While her legs are generally nice and straight with pointed toes, I now wonder if she is losing tenths on those contractions/extensions because her movements are not big enough (if that makes sense). I've never thought about it before, but will be watching at the next meet. Seems like I'm always learning something new!

Coming from a dance and figure skating background I have to say that if I were judging some of these high-scoring routines I would take whatever deduction is available for the quality of movement in some of the choreography (I know there are artistry/rhythm deductions at the optional level, not sure about compulsory). A lot of gymnasts just get from point A to point B in terms of, say, moving from middle fifth arms to a "present/salute" pose - without any texture - which makes routines much less visually interesting and limits their options in terms of style when moving to optionals. I wish this were taught more and emphasized in the compulsory routines but what can you do. It's just not the way. And if it doesn't increase scores, most people won't focus on it.

This has been very interesting. I watched my dd's recorded routine from this weekend and, honestly, I'm still not sure exactly where she falls, although I don't think she looks that graceful so I guess she might be on the robotic side. lol. I know from the meets we've been to, the 2 gyms that always score the highest on floor routines are very robotic imo. But they are consistently winning on floor with 9.6-9.7's, so it doesn't seem to be hurting them at all. :)

Okay here are the contractions off my head, please excuse me if any are mixed up with level five:

•Before the three poses and run hop, you are in a position where your side has to contract
•When you are getting out of splits and sit in a stag, you contract your back and watch your hand go around
•In the step, side passé, before you step prepare for the full turn, you tilt and contract
•When you circle down to the floor at the end, you need to contract your side and look the other direction before you fall
•Darn! Can't remember the seventh if there is one! It's probably pretty minor, hopefully on the list you found.

Hope this helps!

Because in the text there aren't 7/2 like the article says. There's only one contraction noted in the level 3 text, and I've only seen 6 on level 4 floor. I went through this a million times with that article but I've never gotten a resolution from anyone about what the 2nd/7th one is. My personal theory is that the pops in level 3 and 4 both were supposed to be a contraction, but that's not printed in the text. It's almost impossible to do it without contracting though with focus down and arms forward so that's why it's my theory.

Also, I have yet to see a judge actually deduct this as more than an overall text error, but it can't hurt to be aware of. Personally I don't believe it should be deducted as more than any other text error.

Hope this helps!

Is it near the beginning, the pose after the kick?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back