WAG Level 4 floor question - your opinion?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm at a complete loss...what's a contraction?

I asked dd. [emoji12]. She said it's when your body "bends" and then she demonstrated. The demonstration made more sense. I'm sure there's a more official definition than "bends". Haha. She knew exactly where all the contractions were in the level 4 routine. I was impressed!

Is it near the beginning, the pose after the kick?

No. The text as it was written shows 6 (and btw the contraction in the split section is actually on the "kneel" and not the arm circle). I think Tom wrote the article off the top of his head and remembered a contraction that isn't noted in the text. Whatever it is, it's probably something that's the same in level 3 and 4, because the only contraction written into level 3 text is on the kneel. I came to the pops because when I did it in my head that was what I came up with, however upon looking it's not in the text. It says focus "downward" while bringing the wrists together, which is pretty hard to do without contracting your back similar to what you do in the level 5 body wave on beam. But that's all speculation. When the article originally came out, I meant to email Tom and ask, but I never did.

There's a slight twist to the right in the pose after the straddle jump, half turn that may be the 7th contraction. Most people, including many judges, hardly notice this.

Reactions: sce
So now I'm super curious. Little Bit is a 4 and I think she is missing these "contractions". I don't want to post a vid in the open but would someone be willing to take a glance if I message you?

So now I'm super curious. Little Bit is a 4 and I think she is missing these "contractions". I don't want to post a vid in the open but would someone be willing to take a glance if I message you?

I was thinking the same thing! But I'm guessing it's just that we don't know what to look for. :)

It really doesn't matter that much. I have never seen a judge deduct for anything except the sequential wave.

It really doesn't matter that much. I have never seen a judge deduct for anything except the sequential wave.
At my last judges clinic we specifically talked about these, and were even given a demonstration of what they "should" look like. Atleast in my state - judges were looking for them :)

Reactions: sce
At my last judges clinic we specifically talked about these, and were even given a demonstration of what they "should" look like. Atleast in my state - judges were looking for them :)

Yes, in region 1, contractions are very important. My coaches always emphasize the importance of contracting, because the judges have told other gyms that they are getting numerous contraction deductions.

Right, at Congress and every other thing, they are saying "up to 7 tenths" (which again is interesting when no one has even identified the 7th one, lol) or whatever, but I have yet to see more than one or maybe 2 tenths. Which I don't disagree with. I don't think it should be more than any other text error. If the kid doesn't contract at all - artistry. This was already how it was prior to this season, they just emphasized it more. But my point is I'm pretty sure your daughter's coaches taught the routine a certain way and they won't really look that well upon other parents and gymnasts on the internet instructing you on how she should do it. I'm just saying you might want to tread lightly here and it's unlikely that this is a significant part of her score.

But my point is I'm pretty sure your daughter's coaches taught the routine a certain way and they won't really look that well upon other parents and gymnasts on the internet instructing you on how she should do it. I'm just saying you might want to tread lightly here and it's unlikely that this is a significant part of her score
So true, but OP's initial question stated that two coaches were instructing the girls to do things differently--in his/her preferred manner. The coaches need to get on the same page and be consistent with those girls.

So true, but OP's initial question stated that two coaches were instructing the girls to do things differently--in his/her preferred manner. The coaches need to get on the same page and be consistent with those girls.

Definitely agree and that's why I responded accordingly to the OP :) now we're talking about other people asking coaches (parents?) on the Internet to watch videos of their kids doing the routine. The parents can try to instruct them on this but I wouldn't recommend it. It's not worth it in the long run.

I meant to rely to the NC video......Nice mix of both flowing and sharp.....beautiful routine.
I don't like the robot look. I think is actually a detriment once you get to optionals.....but what do I know.
We have some robots in our state....seriously sharp, exaggerated, and the smile is scary......we think it looks absolutely ridiculous and I don't know why the judges are rewarding this so much.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back