WAG Level 4 or struggle through level 6??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay so I competed level 3 last year. I know, I'm old to be a level 3 but I love it anyways. And my coach isn't taking ANY level 5s this year..(don't ask me why I honestly don't know) But I have every skill I need that's in level 4 except the front handspring on vault☺️ But I'm wondering if I should go to level 4 or try level 6?? I don't have my Round off, BHS,BT, flyaway(close though), back walkover on high beam, or clear hip circle. But do u think I could get all those skills by the summer to be a level 6 or should I just go for level 4?? Thanks

You would have to score out of 4 and 5 first, from what I understand.

Reactions: sce
Sorry if this sounds stupid, but what do u mean score out of 4 and 5?

You must go to a USAG sanctioned meet and obtain an all around score of at least a 31 for both level 4 and level 5 (this could possibly be done at the same meet depending on the timing of the sessions) before you will be allowed to compete in a meet as a level 6.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but what do u mean score out of 4 and 5?
You can not just move to level 6 from three.

You need to score a min of 31 at an official meet to score out of level 4 and move to level 5. Then you need to score a min of 31 to score out of level 5, you can then do Level 6 or 7.

You just can not go to level 6 because you have the skills and want to.

As far as whether you could get the skills. This is something that really only you and your coach might be able to figure out. We don't know how many hours you train or how close you are to any of those skills. Good luck

You can not just move to level 6 from three.

You need to score a min of 31 at an official meet to score out of level 4 and move to level 5. Then you need to score a min of 31 to score out of level 5, you can then do Level 6 or 7.

You just can not go to level 6 because you have the skills and want to.
Ok thanks. It's kind of Wierd though because my gym always skips levels

They can't be skipping levels.

No one needs to compete 1,2 or 3. These are developemental levels. Meant to just get used to meets and competing. Coaches decide to compete or not. Everyone JO must start at 4.

Once you get to Level 4 you need to score out. Exception Level 6, you could skip this and go to seven. So even your gym they need to get at least a 31 at sanctioned meet, at 4 and 5.

They can't be skipping levels.

No one needs to compete 1,2 or 3. These are developemental levels. Meant to just get used to meets and competing. Coaches decide to compete or not. Everyone JO must start at 4.

Once you get to Level 4 you need to score out. Exception Level 6, you could skip this and go to seven. So even your gym they need to get at least a 31 at sanctioned meet, at 4 and 5.
Ok.. lol

They may do score out meets (which can be held in-house). Also, for girls 14+ or in High school (9th grade +), if they have the skills to compete Level 6, the coach can petition them into level 6 by filling out the petition and having video proof that the gymnast has the necessary skills for the level.)

You could compete a meet at L4 and see how you do. If you do well and have gotten the skills over the summer for L6, THEN have coach petition you into 6 (or just go to one meet as an L5 and score a 31). Then you could compete L6 for the remainder of the season.

Only going by what skills YOU say you have (I obviously don't know you at all and can't see how these skills look, how close you are to the next skills etc, nor do I know how fast you acquire new skills with good form!).... I would shoot for L4. As everyone has already said, you would need to score out of 4 and 5 (or petition for Optionals with sending in skill video etc assuming you are over 14) and the L5 routines are no joke, especially on bars.
Having a good season at L4 while working on the requirements for L5/6(since you still will need to score out of 5 even if the plan is for you to do 6) can set you up for a solid, positive experience. :)

They may do score out meets (which can be held in-house). Also, for girls 14+ or in High school (9th grade +), if they have the skills to compete Level 6, the coach can petition them into level 6 by filling out the petition and having video proof that the gymnast has the necessary skills for the level.)

You could compete a meet at L4 and see how you do. If you do well and have gotten the skills over the summer for L6, THEN have coach petition you into 6 (or just go to one meet as an L5 and score a 31). Then you could compete L6 for the remainder of the season.
Thanks! I'll try that. That was helpful thanks again

Only going by what skills YOU say you have (I obviously don't know you at all and can't see how these skills look, how close you are to the next skills etc, nor do I know how fast you acquire new skills with good form!).... I would shoot for L4. As everyone has already said, you would need to score out of 4 and 5 (or petition for Optionals with sending in skill video etc assuming you are over 14) and the L5 routines are no joke, especially on bars.
Having a good season at L4 while working on the requirements for L5/6(since you still will need to score out of 5 even if the plan is for you to do 6) can set you up for a solid, positive experience. :)
Thank you so much! Great. I will try that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back