Level 4 struggling with Front Mill Circle!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

lilgymstermama

My daughter is 7 and on level 4 at her gym. She was on Level 3 last year. Last year at the meets, she was doing her front mill circle just fine. (with the exception of a few times she went around 2 times instead of just one time)

However, I just watched her at the gym today and now she cannot make her full Front Mill Circle without help getting back to the top of the bar. This is so frustrating to me. I feel like my daughter is one who needs a lot of encouragement to really dig deep and do what she is capable of. If she knows a coach is going to just help her over, she will take advantage of the situation and let the coach help her over. I don't know what to do. She is struggling in other events as well. She was also falling off the beam like crazy. At her level 3 meets last year, she hardly ever never fell off the beam.
I just don't know what to do. Her team coach tells me that she is doing good, but I just don't see it. Any help or suggestions would be so helpful.
Thank you!

First, if the coach says she is doing good...then I'd go with that!;)

Young gymmies can be really inconsistent. I have a 6 yr old L4 and she is the same way as your daughter...she needs to be pushed to do her best, and if there is a chance that she can let a coach spot her through a tough skill, she'll take it every time!:rolleyes:

Also, sometimes in practice coaches are having them try to make other corrections while doing a skill (straight legs, arms, pointed toes, bigger amplitude, etc)...this can make them fall on a skill they can do because they are trying to correct something. I see this with my older DD all the time.

Try not to get too concerned over what you see in practice. The evil mill circle can be one that comes and goes, too. My DD skipped L3 so never got the practice on it and man is she struggling now. It's a tricky skill.

I bet she is doing it again soon. Like I said if the coach is ok with how she is doing then I would try to be ok with that!

Good luck to her and let us know how she is doing!

First, if the coach says she is doing good...then I'd go with that!;)

Young gymmies can be really inconsistent. I have a 6 yr old L4 and she is the same way as your daughter...she needs to be pushed to do her best, and if there is a chance that she can let a coach spot her through a tough skill, she'll take it every time!:rolleyes:

Also, sometimes in practice coaches are having them try to make other corrections while doing a skill (straight legs, arms, pointed toes, bigger amplitude, etc)...this can make them fall on a skill they can do because they are trying to correct something. I see this with my older DD all the time.

Try not to get too concerned over what you see in practice. The evil mill circle can be one that comes and goes, too. My DD skipped L3 so never got the practice on it and man is she struggling now. It's a tricky skill.

I bet she is doing it again soon. Like I said if the coach is ok with how she is doing then I would try to be ok with that!

Good luck to her and let us know how she is doing!
Thank you so much. After reading your reply, I realized that I am being so harsh on my daughter. It is so hard for me to see the other girls excel and for her to struggle. But, I have to stop focusing on her gymnastics skills and more on her strengths as a person.

Thank you for your help. I will try and keep you updated on her progress.

Watching a whole practice is never a good idea. It is too easy to get overinvolved with your childs sports. Once you feel frustrated it is very hard not to put pressure on your child. That will not help at all.

If she did well last year, she will probably do fine this year.

Last edited:
That is why I try to stay out of the gym as much as possible! This way when she does learn a new skill or mastered a skill she can show me the end result and not all the attempts in between! Makes it so much more fun for me to be surprised by what she can do! Like the other night she came home BEAMING because she did her BWO on the low beam by herself!

My daughter is 7 and on level 4 at her gym. She was on Level 3 last year. Last year at the meets, she was doing her front mill circle just fine. (with the exception of a few times she went around 2 times instead of just one time)

However, I just watched her at the gym today and now she cannot make her full Front Mill Circle without help getting back to the top of the bar. This is so frustrating to me. I feel like my daughter is one who needs a lot of encouragement to really dig deep and do what she is capable of. If she knows a coach is going to just help her over, she will take advantage of the situation and let the coach help her over. I don't know what to do. She is struggling in other events as well. She was also falling off the beam like crazy. At her level 3 meets last year, she hardly ever never fell off the beam.
I just don't know what to do. Her team coach tells me that she is doing good, but I just don't see it. Any help or suggestions would be so helpful.
Thank you!

Is it possible that she is just bored with skills she can already do? My DD is this way. Once she gets something, she really stops trying so hard to keep it. She just wants to move on and do something new. She's been going over on her mill circle too after having it. If her coach will tell her she must do one correctly before moving on she'll do it on the first try. Frustrating for a parent to watch.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back