WAG Level 4 vs Level 5 vs Level 7 vault FHS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

While I have no clue about what they are specifically looking for. It just makes sense that a vault that is done in multiple levels would have the expectations on performance raised as the levels go up.

Expectations overall go up. L7s should be capable of better and harder gymnastics then L4, especially the details.

So perhaps a less then clean landing doesn't take the same hit on points at L4 vs L7

I'll have to pull out the optional code of points when I get to the gym, but as far as compulsory levels go the deductions on Level 4 & 5 vault are IDENTICAL. Now whether an individual judge expects more from a level 5 versus a level 4 and therefore takes more of the "up to" deductions on the level 5 is another story...

DD had two teammates at L7 who could vault like that, though I think each one only managed to stick it a few times because they both had so much power coming out of it. I really wish I'd taken a video of one that still sticks out in my memory. The height she got off the table was unbelievable.

Are JO L4 and L5 allowed to use a minitramp instead of a springboard?? If so, has that always been the case? Have never seen anyone competing with anything other than a springboard. Vault would have been much less awful for DD at old L5 if she could have used the minitramp, haha!

All I know is that our bronze and silvers use it and our more petite gold girls, but I believe if they use it in gold that it's a 9.5 start value now that I've started looking around. Not sure about JO, I assumed if Xcel could use it that JO could too, but it looks like that is not the case.

There's one judge in our area who frequently judges vault, and it seems to me that she was applying the same standards on the FHS all the way through the compulsory levels, maybe just a little bit stricter on angles and block at L7. As DD got better, her scores went up from this judge.

Holy crap!! Rachel's vault was amazing! I can't stop watching it! I'm definitely no judge, but I cannot for the life of me see what she lost the tenth on.

I've always wondered about the question that the OP raised. Over here we don't start FHS vault until L6. It is also competed in L7 and then I believe L8 start flipping vaults. I think it may be able to be competed in L8, but it has a low difficulty score. I could be wrong, I get confused about stuff after L7!

It's always seemed a little crazy to me to compete the same vault at 4 levels, it makes sense if they start judging harder.

I have never seen anyone use a tramp instead of a springboard, not in JO, Xcel or IGC

When dd was a level 3, they used an air-board (mini tramp) at state. The company that brought in the equipment brought in a brand new springboard and the girls couldn't hit it hard enough. Dd scored a 9.9 that year. That's the ONLY time our girls used an air-board.

+1 to Chalkbowl's reply.
I'll have to pull out the optional code of points when I get to the gym, but as far as compulsory levels go the deductions on Level 4 & 5 vault are IDENTICAL. .
Exactly identical. (For coaches p.156 in Comp. Code book). The L4 and L5 Vault explanations in the book are the identical.

Specific deductions for a HS vault, (for coaches = Group 1 #1.101), in Optionals I read this evening to be the the same (Code of Points). This evening, thinking of this query, I asked a Judge (staff person) if they had higher expectations of a L7 HS than a L5 and the answer was, "of course." I got the raised brow that said "why are you asking this obvious question?"

The above said, I stand that the judges do an excellent job in evaluating the performances/execution of the HS vaults in my experience. The "deductions," specific and general provide Judges the ammo to be able to separate the many HS vaults. The best vault should win. The best vaults mostly do win, in my experience. I see and hear Judges being very consistent with evaluating HS vaults. We should expect no less as they see oodles of them. One year my wife judged vault at L3-5 State Meet and come home day #1 with "HS blur." It was hard for her to clear her minds eye to go back for the next day with a clear eye for HS vaults. She had to deliberately clear her minds eye to concentrate on HS details again for a Day #2. Fortunately judging assignments have been better assigned in the past many years.

As a coach, I remind our L7's their everyday efforts on vault are to upgrade to a flipping vault. We do little HS training except before L7 meets and then much more before State Meet. Gymnasts jobs are to master and upgrade.

I hope I have added to the conversation. Best, SBG -

When dd was a level 3, they used an air-board (mini tramp) at state. The company that brought in the equipment brought in a brand new springboard and the girls couldn't hit it hard enough. Dd scored a 9.9 that year. That's the ONLY time our girls used an air-board.

If they did they violated their sanction. It's not a new rule. Equipment companies bringing new springboards that are hard happens frequently at outside venues, but USAG JO level 3 can't use the alternate springboard apparatus. I believe AAU allows it in their version of the compulsories though.

SBG, I often wondered about that! I don't think I could judge successive compulsory sessions of FHS vaults without losing my mind. But I think even worse was back in the day when the L4 boys' compulsory vault was a straight jump, and some poor guys at states had to judge something like 150 of them.

One of DD's teammates at (old) L6 states kind of forgot what she was doing in the nervousness of the moment and accidentally did a roundoff on her first vault. The judges almost died laughing and I think she might have gotten just a tiny bump on her second score because they were so happy to see something unexpected for once!

If they did they violated their sanction. It's not a new rule. Equipment companies bringing new springboards that are hard happens frequently at outside venues, but USAG JO level 3 can't use the alternate springboard apparatus. I believe AAU allows it in their version of the compulsories though.

Idk, I just know they did it at state. Of course this was level 3, not level 4+ like stated above. So, unless the deduction was .1 and my dd scored a perfect 10 but was awarded 9.9 then I just don't know! This was at state December 2012 (before the levels changed) if that makes a difference.

But I can say that I have never seen it done once we have hit optionals to refer back to op

Idk, I just know they did it at state. Of course this was level 3, not level 4+ like stated above. So, unless the deduction was .1 and my dd scored a perfect 10 but was awarded 9.9 then I just don't know! This was at state December 2012 (before the levels changed) if that makes a difference.

But I can say that I have never seen it done once we have hit optionals to refer back to op

Oh, gotcha, before the levels changed, it might have been allowed then. I'm not sure about level 1 and 2 now, or the equivalent then. Or maybe it wasn't allowed but it didn't really matter if the scores werent valid because there was no mobility score to the next level and there was no more qualifying to states to worry about.

It can be. There are options for L6/7 and Xcel Gold/ Platinum.
1/4 to 1/2 on - repulsion off (round off vault)
1/2 on - 1/2 off
Are two of the several options... they can also do a Yami and a few others :)

Dd is a level 7, competed 6 last year, and although those vaults are allowed, I've never seen them competed. I would like to see it though!

Dd is a level 7, competed 6 last year, and although those vaults are allowed, I've never seen them competed. I would like to see it though!
2 of our L7s compete the 1/2 on 1/2 off. 2 of our L6s compete 1/2 on 1/2 off and 1 competes the round off vault, and the rest compete fhs.

In Xcel Gold, 4 of our girls compete the round off vault, 1 competes 1/2-1/2, and the rest compete fhs.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back