Parents Level 4

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

P

Petra

Hello, New to the sight. Looking forward to my daughter and I getting to use it and help her towards her gym goals.

One question that I have had burning in my mind is that do you have to compete level 4 or can you just work out as a level 4. There seems to be mixed feedback:confused:.

Every gym's policy is probably different, but USAG doesn't require an athlete to compete level 4. A number of gyms don't start competing until lvl 5. From lvl 5 up, though, you have to compete one meet at each level and hit a minimum qualifying score. It is normal for gyms to set higher standards than the USAG minimum.

By the way, welcome. I'm at the end of my life as a gym parent, but its fun to watch people who are just starting out.

I think it depends on the gym. Some have recreational programs that go up to level 4 and beyond. Some let girls that don't want to compete practice with the team. Some don't. Some compete level 4 and lower levels others start at level 5.

Welcome to the Chalk Bucket! There is an intro thread here on the Parents forum at the top. :D

Welcome to the CB!! As to Level 4, the gym my daughter started at did pre-team( a 2-3 yr program depending on the child) and then they started competing as L5s. At our current gym its the same thing---pre-team(invite only) and then on to L5. So, we never had to deal with the mill circle anxiety---just went straight to kip stress:)

Welcome to The bucket, I am sure you will find this site most helpful.

Our Gym is pretty straight forward. When you start gymnastics you start with the Beginner skill card. Once you get your skills you move up. You move up through the ranks, beginner, intermediate, advanced. Pre-Team then finally Level 4. Once you have all your Level 4 skills you move up to Level 5 and then on the team.

We do not have our Level 4 girls compete. They start competeting at level 5. They must compete 1 Level 5 meet, score at least a 31.0 in the all around and get their skills to move to Level 6.

Best of luck!

It is really weird isn't it. Some places have girls compete as early as level 2, others not until level 5. Mine stated competing as a level 4. Of course now that I realize very few of the skills from level 4 are ever used again, I would have been just as happy not to have paid all the competition fees that year and had her get a head start working on level 5. As they say hind site is 20/20. But then again, on the other hand, she had a blast competing level 4, so I guess it was worth it.

our level 4 has competing at level 4 but not many meets I think 2 or 3 tops
I think its good to have at least 1 at that level to help prepare them for the other meets

Tho my girls are still on preteam

Hi & welcome! I think every gym is different. Some gyms are bigger, some are more into recreational classes, some are more competative than others. We start competitions at L4 and everyone does the meets. We don't really have a competing and non-competing team. I have learned from this board that some gyms offer a L2 or even L3 programs that do go to meets. I would have loved that for my DD, it seems like a nice slow/steady transition to L4.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back