Level 5/6 transition from low to high bar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

V

VA Gym Coach

Is it acceptable for taller gymnasts to straddle their legs from low to high as they prepare for their kip?

Thanks

Not in compulsories. But I don't see why they should have to, in the jump to the high bar. Lift the hips and keep feet in front. The bars can be moved to any setting. I realize it's inconvenient but sometimes the gains are worth it. Unless they are so tall they cannot clear the ground hanging from the high bar but that seems truly rare.

Yes, I understand that in most circumstances it shouldn't ever be a problem but we are heading to a non-sanctioned YMCA meet and their high bar only goes up but so high. Because of this situation, I just become curious if taller gymnasts had the option.

Thanks for the response

If it is a "non-sanctioned" YMCA meet, then judge can do whatever the judge wants. That's the non-sanctioned part, or should be. Unless you just mean "not USAG" and there's a YMCA code of points or rulebook that you must follow. If it's truly non-sanctioned, then the USAG guidelines wouldn't apply because it's not a USAG meet. They'll still be followed because that's what everyone knows. But, modifications can be made (and are, often, if you look closely). Just try and catch the judge/meet ref/meet director before the meet starts so the judge can decide if she wants to make that not a deduction for everyone, (explain the situation, the tall gymnast, the low high bar, etc.) and possibly even make an announcement at the coaches' meeting. As long as everyone is aware of the privilege before the meet begins, so everyone who would like to take advantage of that option knows it is there, that's the luxury of not being sanctioned--accommodations can be made.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back