WAG Level 5 Bars/Connections/etc

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

Gymnastics_lover

Hello everyone, I am currently a level 5 gymnast who is going into level 6 shortly. I’ve competed for a year, and have connected everything except my squat on to the clear hip kip. Also, lately I can’t connect anything to my kip, which is becoming more bent! I’m strong, have good flexibility, etc. Somedays I can do a straight arm kip but for sure can’t connect anymore!

Also, on beam, for some reason I’ve developed a fear of full turns though nothing has happened. I’m afraid my foot will slide of the beam. In addition, sometimes my backwalkovers are straight and other crooked. Ok floor, it’s perfectly straight, and I have scoliosis, so could it be from that? Tips please!

Another totally off question.. can a regular meet count as a mobility meet? As mentioned, I’ve don’t level 5 for a year and we are planning to do level 6 this year. Could my first meet of the season be a level 5 mobility meet (32 AA to pass?) and then continue with level 6?

Thank you all so much! :)

We don’t have a lot of level 5 gymnasts that post here. How old are you?

I don’t like to say... and why does it matter anyways?
It partly matters because your profile says you are 27 years old. I haven't heard of a lot of 27 year old Level 5s. Also, your age could affect how we respond. If you are really 11-13 years old, our answer may be different than if you are 16-18. At younger ages, there are different things going on with the body physically than at older ages. We can't help without the information. Good luck.

Hello everyone, I am currently a level 5 gymnast who is going into level 6 shortly. I’ve competed for a year, and have connected everything except my squat on to the clear hip kip. Also, lately I can’t connect anything to my kip, which is becoming more bent! I’m strong, have good flexibility, etc. Somedays I can do a straight arm kip but for sure can’t connect anymore!
Impossible to say what is wrong without seeing you. You should ask your coach, it's the only person who can help you on this one. It's very likely that something has gone wrong with your technique and you will have to go back to drills. Depending on your age, you might also be growing, which means you will need to ajust to your new height (strenght-wise, coordination-wise).It's perfectly normal.
Also, on beam, for some reason I’ve developed a fear of full turns though nothing has happened. I’m afraid my foot will slide of the beam.
Again, what does your coach say ? Go back to the low/middle beam and do a lot of them with perfect technique (ask your coach) so that your turn will be as stable as possible. If you are able to do them on the high beam despite your fear and if they are technically sound, you may continue doing them there as well.
If it's only a bit of fear (i.e. not a mental block : you are able to do them even if you are not comfortable doing them), it'll probably go away with doing a lot of (good) reps.
In addition, sometimes my backwalkovers are straight and other crooked. Ok floor, it’s perfectly straight, and I have scoliosis, so could it be from that? Tips please!
Again, this is not something that can be answered on a forum without seeing you. However, if you have scoliosis or any back problem, make sure a BWO is safe for you to do. You may want to ask your doctor about this skill specifically, especially if your doctor does not know a whole lot about gymnastics.
Another totally off question.. can a regular meet count as a mobility meet? As mentioned, I’ve don’t level 5 for a year and we are planning to do level 6 this year. Could my first meet of the season be a level 5 mobility meet (32 AA to pass?) and then continue with level 6 ?
No idea, sorry.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back