WAG Level 5 Bars Requirements

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The sole circle can be used in place of the squat-on and jump to high bar. It's pretty common in our area for L5 (even as a back-up for girls who fall on their squat-on). The sole circle cannot be used in place of the free-hip, but the more difficult toe circle (also called a toe-on toe-off or toe handstand) is an alternative to the free-hip. I've only seen a couple of those in L5, almost every girl does the free hip.
No, it is an option instead of the free hip. They can do free hip, backward sole circle to clear front support, or backward stalder to clear front support.

Kittynuk, You were looking at the old level 5 for the routine with the tap swings to half turn drop dismount. That is now the level 4 routine. She will probably have to do what the gym standard is, depending on when you arrive in the states and what she has time to learn. But it is an option.

GAgymmom - we're talking about two different skills! In my dd's gym the "sole circle" is just a means to get to the high bar. What you're calling the "backward sole circle to clear front support" is a completely different skill to me that I've heard called toe circle, toe handstand, toe shoot or toe-on toe-off.

sole circle jump to high bar -

toe handstand -

No, it is an option instead of the free hip. They can do free hip, backward sole circle to clear front support, or backward stalder to clear front support.

Kittynuk, You were looking at the old level 5 for the routine with the tap swings to half turn drop dismount. That is now the level 4 routine. She will probably have to do what the gym standard is, depending on when you arrive in the states and what she has time to learn. But it is an option.
Thank you - yes I have now seen that it is a couple of sites that haven't updated their skills. It looks like our club doesn't start competing until December (if I'm looking correctly) So she has the summer and fall to pick up the couple of bars skills she is missing. If she can't in time then she will have to be very bored at level 4 or possible try to get away with level 6 which sounds more flexible as far as choosing skills. We shall see what the summer brings. Sounds like the main thing she has to learn is the free (clear) hip circle and flyaway. xx

Thank you - yes I have now seen that it is a couple of sites that haven't updated their skills. It looks like our club doesn't start competing until December (if I'm looking correctly) So she has the summer and fall to pick up the couple of bars skills she is missing. If she can't in time then she will have to be very bored at level 4 or possible try to get away with level 6 which sounds more flexible as far as choosing skills. We shall see what the summer brings. Sounds like the main thing she has to learn is the free (clear) hip circle and flyaway. xx
(6 would be great, except she would still need to score out of 5. :) )

Would she need to if she is British and only competing for a couple years over in the states? If that were the case would she technically have to start at the beginning and pass each level. Or is it level 5 in particular because it's the last compulsory level. I was under the impression that some clubs skip level five altogether.

Would she need to if she is British and only competing for a couple years over in the states? If that were the case would she technically have to start at the beginning and pass each level. Or is it level 5 in particular because it's the last compulsory level. I was under the impression that some clubs skip level five altogether.

They don't skip it, they just don't compete it for a full year. They do one score out meet (I think you only need a 32 AA?) and then compete level 6 or 7. I do not know if your DD would need to score out of 4 as well?

According to USAG, you can score out of Level 4 and Level 5 with a 31.0.
Level 4 is the first required level so levels 1-3 don't have to be scored out of.
She would have to start by scoring out of Level 4. The gym may plan to bring in a judge for this.
The other option, depending on the gym would be for her to compete Xcel. There, she would score out of Silver and compete Gold... maybe Platinum if she has the clear hip circle then.

Usually, she would have to score out of levels 4 and 5 to compete in level 6. However, there is an exception for foreign athletes:
Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 8.46.29 PM.png

https://www.usagym.org/docs/Member Services/webinars/sept15.pdf
page 6
I've never seen it done, but it is an official option that would save you the time and cost of learning and competing the level 4 and 5 routines!

Just FYI, South Carolina is switching this year to a fall compulsory season. Most gyms did not compete girls until December up through this past year, but now compulsory meets will be starting in September with compulsory states in December.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back