WAG Level 5 ending poses

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
So are these pre-determined poses for floor that can be used, or are they completely made up?
I have seen many similar endings....some very, well, ?...

The ending poses are optional, with the stipulation that the gymnast may not "stand up."

The gymnast can do anything they want so long as they are not on their feet. DD just completed a L5 meet this past weekend, and there were some very interesting ending poses. Her HC was specific about the girls not changing the ending pose, but not all gyms have this rule. The only thing I would add is that the ending pose should not cost you any tenths (at DD's meet, some of the girls who had different poses fell out of them before they stood and saluted. I'm sure this was a few tenths (I don't think the judge took it as a true fall) off their final score).

This makes me curious... Are deductions taken during unique choreographed passages? How do the judges really know when feet are supposed to pointed, as opposed to when they are flexed for artistic purposes? I've seen a couple videos of Celtic themed floor routines with bits of Irish dance techniques and styles sprinkled throughout, and often these parts require flexed feet rather than extended (pointed).

Munchkin; In ending poses, less is more in my experience. The gymnast must show respect to the routine and skills within their expression of the ending pose. At our gym, more novice athletes the suggested pose works well.

Aaron; The OP asked about the Compulsary L5 routine. There are portions of the dance were "optional" arms/legs/dance can be used. The code book identifies these opportunities.

As to artistry, L6-10, we are aware that a USA-G Optional gymnast can be discredited a total of 0.6 tenths on BB(for example) for insufficient artistry in the entire performance (lack of confidence, lack of personal style or uniqueness), insufficient rhythm and tempo (no variation in movements, speed, movements are disconnected with pauses). In addition to the artistry deductions, there are composition and choreography deductions which include failure to perform movements facing sidewards, with the torso on the beam, not using the whole equipment, and "lack of creativity in movement and transition." I hear clearly in clinics that the emphasis is to increase the diversity of exercise (so every routine isn't jump on the beam, stand on the beam, flip, leap series, dismount).

On FX, the same deductions are applied - COP allows an increased attention to musicality and music theory. Movements of dance must support the music - The example the CoP uses is tango movements to tango music.

IMO, artistry is the ability to perform and sell the routine. The artistic component is not the same for all athletes.

Check out this FIG COP Artistry presentation: http://www.intlgymnast.com/files/2013_cop_wag_proposal_fx.pdf

Excellent resource.

I have printed this and read it a couple of times. (It has taken me a while to soak up the details.) Some of it does not translate to USA-G, but it is one of the better resources that I have found in describing "artistry."

Best, Eric -

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back