Level 5 floor deduction question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter competed in a level 5 meet and dropped her back foot on the full turn just before the BWO towards the end of the floor routine. Do you know what the deduction would have been ?

There's a kick 1/2 turn finishing in arabesque before the BWO - the full turn is a different skill prior to the hitch kick (jump kick thing). It's hard to say what the deduction would have been because it depends on the degree of the error. This is, however, not a major element, so I'm guessing it was probably about a .1 or .2 body position deduction. I suppose it could be bigger if you mean her foot actually fell to the floor or it caused her to stumble or something, and there's still the issue of other form throughout the skill (straight legs, chest up). The leg doesn't have to be very high, so it's probably a more common/bigger error to drop the chest in my opinion.

I wouldn't worry about all the little deductions at this point, the L5 routine is a lot to learn all at once and there are many small errors like this that contribute to the overall score. Rarely is it one large error in the where the bulk of the deductions come from.

I think you need to clarify if you are talking about the 1/1 (full) turn, right after she comes up off her knee and before the hitchkick, or if you are talking about the leg swing 1/2 (half) turn, right before the balkwalkover.

Gymdog is correct if you are talking about the leg swing 1/2 turn. This is not an element with value, and the deduction would fall under general execution of incorrect foot form, only .05 each time poorly executed.

If it is the 1/1 (full) turn that is a whole other ball of wax. The element is worth .4. It is up to .1 in general faults and penalties for "failure to perform 180* & 360* turns in on one foot in releve. There is also an over turned deduction stated as "Degree of turn not exact (over-turned)... up to 0.2."

In optionals there is a degree of incomplete turn deduction, but I'm not sure it applies to compulsory L5 & L6. I tell my girls it does because I want them to already be in that mind set (a little coaching white-lie), but I see no reference to it in the Compulsory Code of Points that is open on my desk right now. In optionals if you fall out of your turn, i.e off your toe or step down, before 3/4 of the way completion then you lose credit for the element, which is a biggie for L7 as it is a Special Req't. I hope that is an accurate description of that deduction, as I don't have the Optional Code of Points on my desk right now. If they do make at least 3/4 before dropping the heel but not the complete turn, then there is a range deduction of 0.1 - 0.3 depending on how severe.

Again, that last part is for sure for the Optionals, but honestly I don't see reference to it, other than what I quoted above and it specifically states over-turned, in the Compulsory Code of Points. If anybody knows for sure then please feel free to clarify. Or I could get off my butt and walk downstairs to fetch the Optional Code of Points... hmmmm, not time to go down there yet.

along those same lines my DD fell (to the ground) on the hitch kick and then left out the 1/2 swingturn before the backwalkover. Any idea the deduction there?

As the swing turn is not a major element there is no value associated with it. It would likely be taken as the "Changing, Omitting or reversing a small part" which is a .1 deduction, and it probably also resulted in a small rhythm deduction.

Obviously the fall on the hitchkick would be .5.

Thanks for your replies. it is the 1/1 (full) turn. She totally dropped her back foot... I know the value of that skill is .4, but would she be marked for leaving a skill out, since she did that. Thanks :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back