Parents Level 5 Section - Lily

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

Megley

Lily had her first (and only) sectional meet last night. Kind of a rough time for them - starting at 5:30 pm and ending at 8:30 pm. This is the only sectional she will attend because she hopes to do a couple of L6 meets in Feb/Jan before going back to L5 for States.

Started on beam: She did a good routine with the exception of the handstand and a couple of bobbles. Otherwise clean and a really nice split jump. 9.20.

Floor: Floor scoring was low - had the tough floor judge - so her score was actually really good. This is a brand new gym and the floor was new and very bouncy so I do not think Lily expected the amount of rebound she got out of her tumbling. As far as I'm concerned, the more rebound the better - bodes well for her back tuck/layout and fhs/ft series at L7. Anyway, nice routine with only minor issues. 9.275.

Vault: She was really hoping for a vault in the low 8s that would set her up to make her 36, but it was not to be. It's hard to tell from this angle but I think she piked the first vault, which was the one with the block, and then didn't block on the second. Anyway a big UGH at 7.85. At this juncture, she needs like a 9.8 on bars for a 36 - not happening!

Bars: Good routine but bent arms on the kips and front hip. Hard to tell but I think the cast angles were good and swings were terrific. 9.425! I told her straighten your arms kid and you've got a 9.7!

As an aside, warm ups on bars were horrendous. Something was up with the bars - girls all said they were super slippery. Two girls peeled off during warmups. Must have been a slippery bar fairy out there this weekend. Thank goodness they all pulled it together when it came time for the routines.

AA 35.75 - identical to her first meet so she's consistent at least. Qualified to states in spades. Her entire team qualified at their first sectional and got to paint the (male) coach's fingernails pink! LOL! One more L5 meet - January 9/10 - before hopefully switching to L6.

Video is here:

YouTube - Jingle Jam Sectional Level 5

Congrats on qualifying to states!!! Those are some great scores. Good luck training 6!

What great scores and really lovely routines. I just love her bars. Exciting to get to do some L6 before going to L5 States. I didn't realise that was possible, how fun!

Her scores were awesome and her routines were really beautiful. I loved her bars, they look lile they are so easy for her. Congrats on a great meet! Can't wait to see her L6 routines!

Thanks all! It's funny that everyone likes her bars so much. She really struggled with bars last year until the very end of the year, but it seems finally to have clicked. Now, Level 6 bars are a whole new level of difficulty.

Bog, yes you can compete up and still drop back for States as long as you don't compete in a sectional (which locks you in) or declare that you are doing a particular level by the declaration date. It makes it possible to try out a harder level during the season, or get your score to skip the level, which is nice.

Meg

Lily seems to be enjoying repeating level 5 after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
She did so great. Love the coach's reward to the girls - gotta remember that one!!

Congrats to her! I didn't realize you could do a higher level, then drop back to the lower level in the same season (well, I guess I knew you could do it at least for optionals--but I know there's a date by which you have to drop back)

Congrats to Lily! She looked great out there!! Love that the coach let them paint his nails, I am sure they loved that. Glad she gets to mix it up some with some L6 this year as well. Very nice job!! Great routines. I am sure vault will eventually click, hard for the little ones sometimes.

Thanks all!

Lily seems to be enjoying repeating level 5 after all.

Well, I wouldn't say she's exactly enjoying it but she does, as you know, like being with C and the other kids her age and she's not a complainer. I think she's ready to move on but you know the issues there. We are probably in for a fight in January and I'm not looking forward to that at all. BTW, congrats to C too on qualifying to State at her first sectional.

Meg

Her bars are fabulous!! Allison is still having a hard time connecting the elements and Lily made is look so easy! Everything else looks great, too. Awesome that she gets to try out L6 this season, too.

Thanks everyone! She is excited about doing Level 6 - everyone cross your fingers that the coach lets her!

Meg

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News