Level 5 - what do you think?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

marie83

Coach
Judge
The rules for this year's voluntary level 5 in our region have just been sent out (comp is in October)

They are very similar to last year's rules except there are a few new bonuses.

Vault is fine - handspring to feet on 60cm with 5cm roll mat over, fall forwards

Bars - bonus 0.3 for each upstart. No giants allowed and no dismount higher than straight back away. No element higher than a B allowed. Gymnasts must show a cast above 45 degrees. Recommended elements are upstarts, casts above 45, backaway stretched from handstand. So they are expecting quite high quality routines in my opinion.

Beam - bonus for stuck routine with all compositional requirements 0.5. Bonus for flighted element 0.5. Bonus for cartwheel or roudoff into dismount 0.3

Floor - bonus for a flick once in routine 0.3

Floor and beam are the apparatus that seem off to me. The gymnasts cannot do any skills harder than a roundoff flick on floor, but are being encouraged to do much more advanced skills on beam.

So, although these are bonuses and not requirements, to be competitive at this level, you are really expected to flick and cartwheel or roundoff tuck back. Last year none of these beam skills accrued a bonus, but they were seen at the competition. This meant that last year a neat simple stuck routine with a bwo, cartwheel and roundoff dismount could outscore a flashy routine with falls. Don't think that'll happen this year!

I'm actually not averse to them adding these bonuses as my opinion has always been that Level 5 in our region is too easy and there is too big a jump to level 4. In our region if you score 42 or above at level 5, you have to move up to level 4 - you don't even have to have all the requirements to score 42 at level 5 if you are neat!
What I don't understand is why they have left floor as it is. I'm sure a gymnast who is capable of a roundoff and flick ON beam and a tuck back dismount off the beam is capable of a lot more on floor - I think the gymnasts should be at least encouraged to do a handspring on floor. I kind of agree with no somi's on floor at level 5, although don't see why they couldn't do a punch front or even 3/4 straight front for a 2nd vault - especially as they go from no somi's allowed on floor to having to have a 2 somi acrobatic line in level 4.

What do you think and what is level 5 like in your region?

The floor routines will look v much like grade 14. Many floor routines will include front somi, round off flick tuck back or round off triple flick in our region level 5s voluntaries. Although lots of people say that the level 5 routines are practically the level 4s so you can't win.

I think in our region giants on bars are allowed, and somi's on floor.

Must look up London- they are always really good about uploading documentation online. Other regions tend to be really difficult to find!

I used to think it was good that our region banned certain skills, but I actually think we've now been left behind. Invitational comps are difficult for our girls to attend at level 5 as the requirements are much more difficult in some other regions. Only the bigger clubs have gymnasts who really progress in age.

I'm glad they have made beam and bars more difficult, but floor gets me every time. I'm pretty sure the reason is because we compete level 5 on a non sprung floor, but roundoff 3 flicks would be ok!

Most regions now include a front and back somi on floor at level 5 as minimum. Most of the big invitationals do too. If you are competing a round off tuck back dismount on beam you should be doing something harder on floor really. Sounds like it is due to the floor being used. I don't think I would like that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back