Level 6 age categories in Ontario

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Bug's mom

Proud Parent
Looking for policy insight on age groups for Level 6s this year. OCP Rules book lists 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15+. But we've heard that GO is combining 9 and 10 because of low numbers. I've seen at least one qualifier that has run them separately. Wondering if anyone knows if they're together or separate? Qualifiers only? Or Championships as well?

Okay I have absolutely no inside information, to be clear, just my own opinion and thoughts.

I have always thought their policy was age 9 is always separate. And with the birthday change this year making some 8 year olds able to compete, you would think they would continue to honour that.

Thanks for your thoughts canadian_gym_mom. Especially with the age change, I think it a little unfair to have the 9 year olds (some of whom might be 8 at comp time) compete against older girls. Of course I'm a bit biased. DD is 9yr old Level 6, and still only 8. I think they deserve their own category.

They probably just don't have enough 2008 kids at some competitions to make an individual scoring group. It can't be fun to be one of two or three girls and everyone gets medals. I see Burlington had a single group this year but we have the Pickering schedule and it's a combined 20 girls so probably two scoring groups of 9&10 year olds.
I wouldn't think that grouping for scoring has any impact on how GO ranks for qualifying.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back