WAG Level 6 bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flipflopsalto

Coach
Proud Parent
What circling elements fulfill the level 6 bar requirements. I have a strong bar worker that for some reason cannot get the shift for a clear hip. She is working giants but will likely not be ready to compete it this season. Is there another option for level 6?

Theoretically, don’t you need the same amount of wrist shift for a stalder or toe circle as a clear hip? Is the toe circle referenced here the same thing as my daughter and her teammates call a “monkey giant?”

I don't know if it requires the same amount of wrist shift - you would think so, but my kid who still struggles with wrist shift for kips and clear hips took to toe ons really well and will probably compete them in her level 6 bars as long as she can stop thinking they're scary.

And I *believe* the toes have to come off the bar and attempt to shoot to handstand (or at least above horizontal) to count, but I am not sure.

Thanks she’s kind of a quirky gymnast, tends to over think skills, trying different things might get her to feel when the shift should happen. Once things click she usually progresses pretty quickly until another skill comes along that stumps her lol. Thanks!

And I *believe* the toes have to come off the bar and attempt to shoot to handstand (or at least above horizontal) to count, but I am not sure.

For the toe circle, you have to start from a cast, snap or step the toes onto the bar, and then open back up to a "cast" support position. It doesn't have to hit handstand for level 6, but it does have to come out to above horizontal for credit (and 45* above horizontal for no deduction).

All three circling elements require similar wrist shifts, but in the toe circle the center of mass (hips) is furthest from the bar, so sometimes that helps with momentum and getting the "bounce" from the bar.

Is the toe circle referenced here the same thing as my daughter and her teammates call a “monkey giant?”

Probably not. I've never heard "monkey giant," but my gymnast call it a "monkey circle" when you put your toes on the bar in a tuck shape and then go around and around. For the toe circle, you have to start in a cast (or HS), snap or step your toes onto the bar, and then open back up to a cast shape (or HS).

Hi, I’m a level 6 gymnast and I had the same problem. What my coach did was just make me do a lot of back hip circles. After a month, it just finally got me to start shifting. Btw my strongest event is also bars

Hi, I’m a level 6 gymnast and I had the same problem. What my coach did was just make me do a lot of back hip circles. After a month, it just finally got me to start shifting. Btw my strongest event is also bars

How old are you Gymnast12525?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back