WAG Level 6 Beam and Floor Requirements

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Level 6 Beam: So could a beam routine have a back walkover, not a back handspring? What skill value is a back walkover on beam? Would this routine meet requirements- BWO, backward roll, beat jump connected to sissone, full turn, cw bt? If that doesn't fulfil, if I replaced the full turn with a full wolf turn, would it?

Level 6 Floor: You have to have a ro bhs bt ( or pike or layout) correct? For "up to levelness?" If you routine were: Ro bhs bt, full turn, switch leap connected to straddle jump, what could your other pass be? Front tuck, sire aerial, what else?

Also sorry if that made no sense I wrote this really fast...

Level 6 Beam: So could a beam routine have a back walkover, not a back handspring? What skill value is a back walkover on beam? Would this routine meet requirements- BWO, backward roll, beat jump connected to sissone, full turn, cw bt? If that doesn't fulfil, if I replaced the full turn with a full wolf turn, would it?

Level 6 Floor: You have to have a ro bhs bt ( or pike or layout) correct? For "up to levelness?" If you routine were: Ro bhs bt, full turn, switch leap connected to straddle jump, what could your other pass be? Front tuck, sire aerial, what else?

Also sorry if that made no sense I wrote this really fast...
There is no "up to level" for level 6 in JO, though your gym could have it's own requirements.

The back walkover is fine to replace the BHS(again, for JO requirements but your gym could have it's own standard), but now your routine has no B skill. The wolf turn would satisfy that.

First pass on floor just needs 3 flight skills so can be RO/BHS/BHS or FHS step out/FHS/front tuck, lots of variations(but again with the "your gym may require more" thing) Second pass on floor can be any salto or aerial - front tuck, back tuck, any aerial variation either as an isolated skill or in an acro series.

The back walkover is fine to replace the BHS(again, for JO requirements but your gym could have it's own standard), but now your routine has no B skill. The wolf turn would satisfy that.
What are some other B value skills that I could do besides the wolf turn? Specifically dance skills, because I feel more comfortable with that part of beam...lol

Split jump(if close to 180), tuck jump half, straight jump 3/4.

I thought that a split jump or leap was required on beam (floor too). No?

Other B skills for beam could be a 1.5 turn, a tuck with a half turn, a "y stand" on releve. At least those are all B skills that my DD worked on.

Reactions: sce

Other B skills for beam could be a 1.5 turn, a tuck with a half turn, a "y stand" on releve. At least those are all B skills that my DD worked on.
The sissone can cover the split requirement but is an A valued skill.

So I could do:
  • Backward roll
  • Back walkover
  • beat jump, sissone
  • 1.5 turn
  • Cartwheel back tuck
Also I could be completely wrong, but are the requirements the same for platinum versus level 6?

My dd competed a BWO in L6 this year. Her B skill was a split jump. She always scored well (assuming she stayed on lol). We had one girl on her team do a cartwheel as well.

For floor you can also do RO-BHS-BHS instead of the tuck, pike or layout and it also meets the requirements. Dd had some teammates do that this year bc of either a mental block on back tucks or trouble landing the back tuck.

2nd pass can be front tuck, front pike, side aerial. Some also do FHS-FT.

It all depends on your gyms specific requirements for the level though. Some gyms require BHS on beam or even a series in L6 and layouts on floor bc those skills are seen as more progressive.

So I could do:
  • Backward roll
  • Back walkover
  • beat jump, sissone
  • 1.5 turn
  • Cartwheel back tuck
Also I could be completely wrong, but are the requirements the same for platinum versus level 6?

That would work. Platinum beam is a bit harder it requires a connected series (CW/CW, BWO/BWO, etc) OR a single flight skill (BHS, RO, FHS)

So I could do:
  • Backward roll
  • Back walkover
  • beat jump, sissone
  • 1.5 turn
  • Cartwheel back tuck

I believe that you could do the backward roll or the back walkover, you don't need both. Though the back EXTENSION roll would count as a B. You don't need that and the BWO though. I never saw anyone do just a backward roll (as opposed to a back extension roll that goes through handstand); but I assume it counts for the acro. If you do the 1.5 turn it could count as your B, so just doing a BWO would be fine. Remember that your sissone would need to be at 180. That is what always killed my DD's score (she did a split jump; but rarely hit actual 180, though she was past 150 so got her start value).

So I could do:
  • Backward roll
  • Back walkover
  • beat jump, sissone
  • 1.5 turn
  • Cartwheel back tuck

I believe the angle requirements are smaller in platinum, but you are required to have a flight skill and a series. In L6 you just have to have a B and a single acro with or without flight (plus the full turn and split jump). My DDs L6 beam was BWO, switch leap, full turn, jump series, ft dismount.

I believe the angle requirements are smaller in platinum, but you are required to have a flight skill and a series. In L6 you just have to have a B and a single acro with or without flight (plus the full turn and split jump). My DDs L6 beam was BWO, switch leap, full turn, jump series, ft dismount.
My girls 6 routine is very similar, I think she is doing a BT dismount, they changed it recently from a FT.

C's, like switch leap, are unallowable on beam at level 6 and would incur a 0.5 deduction from start value plus you would lose another 0.5 off the start value if you were relying on that for your split requirement.

Regular backward roll cannot cover the acro requirement for level 6, the skill must acheive or pass through vertical with hand support.

Platinum has a smaller split requirement, but it requires a connected dance series and the acro requirement is either a flight skill or a connected acro series.

C's, like switch leap, are unallowable on beam at level 6 and would incur a 0.5 deduction from start value plus you would lose another 0.5 off the start value if you were relying on that for your split requirement.

I thought the switch leap wasn't allowed....DDs switch leap is much better than her leap, but it was taken out of her beam routine once the coaches realized it was a C skill. I was so confused when I read the previous poster saying it was in her routine!

Reactions: sce
I thought the switch leap wasn't allowed....DDs switch leap is much better than her leap, but it was taken out of her beam routine once the coaches realized it was a C skill. I was so confused when I read the previous poster saying it was in her routine!
OK at level 7 but not 6.

I never said my DD scored well! Ha! Not a single one of her routines was maximized for scoring. I didn't realized t was unallowed, and her coach probably didn't either. What can you do?

dd's lvl 6 beam routine was short. for skills she did BHS, split jump, tuck jump, full turn and CWBT dismount. and some flowery dance moves in there as well. her's was the shortest routine out of her team. i told her the advice of the beam judges i sat with last year at the level 7 state meet - get up and get down. the less time on the beam, less for them to deduct. judges words. they would actually remark/complain when a girl did a long showy routine b/c it meant more deductions.

beam isn't her strongest event so it will probably stay a short routine. her coach even cut out one little bit b/c she wobbled and it was unnecessary. lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back