WAG Level 6 Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tpMom

Proud Parent
Random question - If a gymnast competed a bwobhs and a hurdle cartwheel back tuck dismount on beam would that be permissible in level 6?

Like would it be allowed to do that much? Or would it be enough for a L6? I think it would all be allowed, but I think that it is also way more than most L6s will be doing and will possibly get scored lower due to so many opportunities for deductions.

Thank you! My question was basically, is this level of difficulty allowed at level 6 (she's brand new to optionals so I don't really understand the requirements yet, but I do know that she is limited in the amount of difficulty she can have in a routine.) It's obviously up to her coach and her what she's going to do, I'm sure she won't compete these skills if they aren't ready, I was just curious about the Level 6 requirements and limitations.

2G1B hit the nail on the head. Definitely allowed as those are all A and B skills (skills in optionals are given letter ratings to reflect their difficulty, with A being the easiest skills that count for anything and E being the most difficult). It is also more difficult than required for level 6 so either her gym likes "top of the level" routines or beam is one of your daughter's strengths.

In my experience judging L6 beam, there is quite a range. Some gyms send everyone up with a split jump AND a split leap, one (or both) in combination & all their kids have a flight skill PLUS another acro, often a series & all their kids at least attempt a dismount series to go for the "prepare for moving up." Other gyms send everyone up with a single CW or BWO (allowable under the rules last quad), a split jump or leap, and an isolated dismount to go for the "simple scores better." Some gyms are in between or vary from gymnast to gymnast.

The simple routines, well executed, usually won because there were fewer elements on which to get deductions. Who wins in the long run? The gymnast whose gym's philosophy best matches her needs.

2G1B hit the nail on the head. Definitely allowed as those are all A and B skills (skills in optionals are given letter ratings to reflect their difficulty, with A being the easiest skills that count for anything and E being the most difficult). It is also more difficult than required for level 6 so either her gym likes "top of the level" routines or beam is one of your daughter's strengths.

In my experience judging L6 beam, there is quite a range. Some gyms send everyone up with a split jump AND a split leap, one (or both) in combination & all their kids have a flight skill PLUS another acro, often a series & all their kids at least attempt a dismount series to go for the "prepare for moving up." Other gyms send everyone up with a single CW or BWO (allowable under the rules last quad), a split jump or leap, and an isolated dismount to go for the "simple scores better." Some gyms are in between or vary from gymnast to gymnast.

The simple routines, well executed, usually won because there were fewer elements on which to get deductions. Who wins in the long run? The gymnast whose gym's philosophy best matches her needs.
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. I had a guess that they might be preparing her for level 7 because her bar routine sounds pretty advanced for level 6 as well (kip, cast hs, clear hip to hs, jump to high bar, giant, giant, fly away) and I know she has her level 7 floor skills, but I spoke to her coach yesterday and he said the plan was definitely to compete as least part of the year as a 6. It's entirely possible that she's just training these harder routines for now to keep her challenged and then maybe they'll simplify the skills for competition. Thank you again for the information!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back