WAG Level 6 - how many girls do BHS on beam and at least one giant on bars?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD's team had one girl who did a BHS on beam, everyone else had BWO or BSO and they scored pretty well. On bars, no one had giants including DD. Scores were mainly in the high 8's. By State meet, DD was scoring in the 9's without giants (once she improved her free hip and hit her squat on, LOL!).

We have 9 level 6 girls and 5 of them are doing bhs. None of our girls are doing giants yet. We don't officially start competing until January 2015.

Having giants and BHS means L7 at my kids (new) gym. A good bar routine with CHSs and big free hips can score great even at L7, by the way;). (I do wish, however, that her old team had insisted on the giants, cuz she's still playing catch-up with skills with only 4 months until competing L8...:eek:)

For Pea's gym giants and BWO connected to BHS are level 7, those who don't get them will do level 6. We didn't have any level 6 or 7 last year so I have no idea what others are doing.

We had a successful L6 team last year. Only 1 girl competed BHS but most did the BWO-BWO combination (and did other combinations if not that one) on beam even though you don't have to in L6. No one did giants but those with CHS and fairly good clear hips scored well (above 9). Biggest difference in skill set between teams was on floor. Some girls do front tuck and ROBHSBT (basically L5) and others are doing BLO and such (L7). I am not sure what is the deciding point for moving girls to L7.

Last edited:
We have one L6 that SHOULD be competing a BHS on beam this season. Last season, 4 girls... 3 cartwheels and 1 BWO - all of them scoring in the 9s.
On Bars, no giants.... working on them now though.

I rarely saw a giant last year in level six. I saw a few backhand springs here and there on beam. We had one girl who competed a backhandspring but that was just because she couldn't do a good bwo. I did see alot of back layouts on floor though. My DD competed simple routines and scored 9s except bars because of the cast height deductions.

Yes, all of our 6s had layouts on floor. All did BHS on beam. Giants were the required skill for 7 - none of our 6s competed them.

Don't you think that, a year into the new rules, now you will see a lot more BHS at level 6, since it is also an option for level 5 to have the BHS? I think most level 5s will do the BWO, but then upgrade to the BHS for level 6.

I find this very interesting. Our gym seems to require whatever is harder!! So, in level 5 as soon as a girl had BHS on beam (they all trained it), she would compete it.

In level 6, our girls had to BHS on beam and clear hip and giant on bars. One girl could not giant, and another started to have trouble half-way into the season. Then they would cast HS into flyaway.

Level 7, BWO-BHS on beam and clear hip and two giants on bars.

Floor was the same 3 tumbling passes. In a lot of ways I can see the benefit of requiring those skills in 6 - makes progressing to 7 and 8 etc. easier.

I guess it comes down to gym philosophy, but girls competing "less" still often score the same.

My DD did 6 last year with no BHS and no giant. Scored well all year as long as she stayed on :)
I'd say we saw a lot more BHS than giants. But also saw CW on beam...bars routines with no flyaway...there were huge variations in 6.

DD's coach said she is competing 6 this season and her bar routine is: kip, CHS, free hip, kip, squat on, kip, CHS, giant, giant, flyaway. Her beam has BWO-BWO series and a BHS, full turn, split jump-split jump combination, and front tuck dismount. Her floor has only 2 passes: BLO and FHS-Front. This is our first foray into optionals so I have no experience with what routines should or shouldn't have in them.

At our gym, in order to compete level 6 you need either a bhs or round off on beam. You don't need giants though, just clear hip and cast handstand flyaway dismount.

DD's coach said she is competing 6 this season and her bar routine is: kip, CHS, free hip, kip, squat on, kip, CHS, giant, giant, flyaway. Her beam has BWO-BWO series and a BHS, full turn, split jump-split jump combination, and front tuck dismount. Her floor has only 2 passes: BLO and FHS-Front. This is our first foray into optionals so I have no experience with what routines should or shouldn't have in them.

She sounds like she's got skills for L7.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back