Welcome to our Gymnastics Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Level 6 JO = xcel platinum?

duyetanh

Proud Parent
Feb 21, 2015
Country
USA
I am asking this for a friend. Her daughter has done two years as a level six. Done fairly well, has some upgraded skills, would say she is in the middle skillwise. The child would like to do less practice time now that high school has hit, and is lucky the gym has xcel available and waiting. But the child is worried they will make her do gold because there are no platinums. The gym is completely open to her doing xcel, and hasn’t mentioned gold as of yet. Can a gym actually do this? The girl is 14 or 15, not sure if exact age.

Carly

Proud Parent
Jan 3, 2016
Country
USA
If a gymnast competes level 6, she is supposed to enter Xcel at the Platinum level. The gym can petition for her to do a different level if necessary but I can't imagine them allowing her to do gold after 2 years at 6. Girls enter gold from JO levels 3/4 and platinum from 5/6. See page 8: https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/xcel/cop_rev_072817_2.pdf

Gymnast's Journey

Proud Relative
Gymnast
Fan
Aug 1, 2019
Country
USA
Golds at my gym seem to be practicing and competing skills 5/6.
My gym sees it like this...
Bronze- Lv 1/2
Silver- Lv 3/4
Gold- Lv 5/6
Platinum- Lv 7/8
Diamond- Lv 9/10

Of course Xcel is a diffrent program from JO and the skill requirements from JO to Xcel is different, this is how my gym compares each level.

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
Fan
Feb 6, 2014
NoVa
Country
USA
Bronze- Lv 1/2
Silver- Lv 3/4
Gold- Lv 5/6
Platinum- Lv 7/8
Diamond- Lv 9/10

Of course Xcel is a diffrent program from JO and the skill requirements from JO to Xcel is different, this is how my gym compares each level.
In this instance it isn’t really about the gym’s preference for comparison. There is a mobility chart from jo to xcel and L6s have to transition to platinum, barring an injury or extenuating circumstance.

ldw4mlo

Proud Parent
Feb 13, 2015
Country
USA
Bronze- Lv 1/2
Silver- Lv 3/4
Gold- Lv 5/6
Platinum- Lv 7/8
Diamond- Lv 9/10

This was our gym when we did Xcel but its been a while

LouLou

Proud Parent
Nov 5, 2016
Country
USA
In our gym, a lot of girls come over to Xcel after Level 5. Even if they didn't compete bars in L5 because they were missing a skill, they always competed Platinum and had no problem. It's definitely the norm that 5s and 6s go to Platinum. The training groups are combined for Gold, Platinum and Diamond in our gym so it doesn't really matter if only one or two girls are a one of the levels.

GAgymmom

Proud Parent
Judge
Oct 25, 2010
Country
USA
Bronze- Lv 1/2
Silver- Lv 3/4
Gold- Lv 5/6
Platinum- Lv 7/8
Diamond- Lv 9/10

Diamond is more like 7/8, definitely NOT 9/10. Some gyms say they equal higher levels to make the kids and parents feel better about it. Not saying yours does, but these levels should shift down to be more realistic.

GAgymmom

Proud Parent
Judge
Oct 25, 2010
Country
USA
Agreed. Gold is NOT 5/6. L4 would be more comparable in my area at least.
I’m just going by the requirements. Level 9/10 is miles above Platinum. I’m not trying to upset anyone, I’m just being realistic.

Freddy's Fred

Proud Relative
Nov 19, 2017
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I’m just going by the requirements. Level 9/10 is miles above Platinum. I’m not trying to upset anyone, I’m just being realistic.
Do you mean Diamond? But still Diamond is nowhere near level 9.

moogacat

Proud Parent
Nov 1, 2018
Country
USA
Do you mean Diamond? But still Diamond is nowhere near level 9.
Yeah, my daughter is doing Diamond and she's doing more skills than required but it's still more like L8. You can do one D skill per event, but it appears to be rare (my daughter has some D skills but probably won't compete them). Plus there are caps on the kinds of vaults allowed that make it much more like L7-8.

As for only having one at a level, my daughter competed last year often as the sole Platinum from her gym at meets, and will likely start the season as the only Diamond, with hopes that some others will move up to join her during the season. The gym allows that, though.