level 6 judging

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

5brownies

My daughter is just beginning to compete L6, and many of the L7 parents and gymnasts are telling her the judging is significantly tougher, with lower scoring on every event. is this accurate, and any tips how to score higher?

We found that the judging as Level 6 was brutal compared to Level 5. My DD consistently scored high 35's and 36 at Level 5. At L6, she never broke above a 34. Granted, she was out for 2 months w/a broken collarbone and then suffered an ankle injury that plagued her all of the season.

Bars, in particular are a much more difficult event. The things that I can see (as an "unprofessional" observer) are that the casts need to be really high, the flyaway needs to be farther away from the bar and above the bar (there's that old "distance an amplitude). The free hip truly needs to be a free hip above horizontal, and not just a "back hip circle" w/o touching the bar (if that makes sense). Vault... what was a good vault in Level 5 is going to be judged much harsher in level 6. They want a definitely "pop" off of the vault, once again amplitude, body form and distance away from the vault.

Beam and floor, I don't really know. Obviously the skills need to be solid: the backwalkover, the RO BHS BT on Floor as well as the front HS, front HS stepout.

Good luck. I'm just glad we're done w/it and moving on!

Yes, L6 is tougher as far as skils and judging. As TQM said, bars seem to be the biggest challenge. All tap swings must hit certain angles, no just "flopping" over the high bar on the baby giant. Nicer form on all events---vault should be bigger and no pike/legs apart and control the landing. 2 skills on beam that seem to be the most difficult are the full turn and bwo.

Its a tough level, but certainly plays right in to moving onto L7.

It really depends on the gym. Of all the compulsory levels, I think L6 is the best preparation for optionals by far (I absolutely love L6), and you do tend to see a huge gap between teams on bars. At my gym, I don't see a significant difference between beam/floor scores from L5 to L6, the 6s score higher on vault, and bars score tend to drop a bit. However, it's very possible to score 9s on L6 bars if you have good bars swingers. My gym actually places better at state on L6 bars than on L5 bars, even though scores are about .3-.4 lower.

The rules for L5 and L6 vault are the same, by the way, so vault scores shouldn't drop.

Good Morning -

First off, the judging is going to vary from State to State, so take advice appropriately.

My daughter recently finished her first L6 season and I can say without doubt that yes the judging was harder. I will characterize it this way - it appears that they are trying to sort the wheat from the chaff; the serious from the not-so serious. The judging was much more critical of the little things that make a big difference in the next level and beyond. In other words, I think they are trying to get the girls to focus on things that will make them successful in L7 and beyond.

Once the girls figure this out you will see a steady progression thru the season. Bars: body form is critical; free hip to 30 degrees above horizontal is critical; tap swings are critical; connections (no pauses); casts at 30 degrees above horizontal or more. Beam: body form is critical; back walk over will
kill if not done correctly; dismount will also hurt the score if there is no pause between the two handstands. Vault: amplitude, tight body, punch off the table are all key. Floor: everything needs to be landed with proper form - no reaching for the floor; dance passes need to be proper form; front tuck and back tuck - no steps after.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Good Morning -

First off, the judging is going to vary from State to State, so take advice appropriately.

My daughter recently finished her first L6 season and I can say without doubt that yes the judging was harder. I will characterize it this way - it appears that they are trying to sort the wheat from the chaff; the serious from the not-so serious. The judging was much more critical of the little things that make a big difference in the next level and beyond. In other words, I think they are trying to get the girls to focus on things that will make them successful in L7 and beyond.

Once the girls figure this out you will see a steady progression thru the season. Bars: body form is critical; free hip to 30 degrees above horizontal is critical; tap swings are critical; connections (no pauses); casts at 30 degrees above horizontal or more. Beam: body form is critical; back walk over will
kill if not done correctly; dismount will also hurt the score if there is no pause between the two handstands. Vault: amplitude, tight body, punch off the table are all key. Floor: everything needs to be landed with proper form - no reaching for the floor; dance passes need to be proper form; front tuck and back tuck - no steps after.

Hope this helps and good luck!

I have to agree with this evaluation of the scoring. YES L6 judging is tougher but I think that with L6 being the last level of the compulsory levels the judges should expect nothing but the best. There are very few 9's given and those that are given are well earned.

I think too that it is a prep for those that are going to optional levels. I've been to a few of the optional level meets and YES its even harder with skills and judging. I think each Compulsory level has a prep for something. L4 is more of a prep to get out on the floor or what ever with everyone watching you and perform - getting use to being in the spot light is more of the focus. L5 seems to be learning how to over come the fear of tumbling skills on floor and beam. Jumping from low bar to high bar and first time using the vaulting table. when you get to L6 you put it all together and really get judged on what you can do. I think its the level where alot of the gymnasts decide that they will or won't continue.

PAY ATTENTION TO DETAIL! It was very rare for the girls who goofed off in practice to score well in meets at level 6. A lot found out they couldn't just wing it and walk out with 9's. My biggest piece of advice is to get the most out of practice!

I too have a dd who just finished l6. I agree it is a very toughly judged level. It is not just good enough to do the skills, they need to be done bigger and better. Bars is scored tough, but the girls who meet the min. requirements for each move score well. My dd struggles on bars and was in the 7's all year. She completed the routines, but no big enough casts etc.
Beam and Floor are her two strong events. She scored low 9's in l5 and low 9's in l6. She is a good tumbler and height on the tumbling makes a big difference. Also, the leaps need to be big and high.
Vault- She was a high 8's vaulter in l5 and a upper mid 8 vaulter in l6. I agree it is scored tougher.

My dd and I are glad to be done with compulsaries, especially l6. The judging is so picky.
Good Luck!

In this neck of the woods, L6 is also the toughest of all compulsories. Its scoring appears to be the most consistent for the same performance by the same gymnast.

L7 OTOH can be all over the place with different standards used from meet to meet. It all depends on what they are looking for at a particular meet during a paricular event. With this level being the transitional level, routines can vary from a tad harder than a strong L6 performance (bare minimal for L7) to something almost as good as one being done at L8 (maximum allowed for L7). In addition, because of the starting score can be lowered for 3 of the 4 events, the subjectivity just amplified.

At a less demanding meet, one doing an exceptional minimum routine can score as high or better than for a very good tough routine. Even if they come out equally good, the gap in score can be as little as 0.2 between bare min and big skills. Of course, the next event can have a gap as big as 1.5. This really gives the value of AA very little meaning.

With that being said, there are times when L7 scoring is consistent -- with states being one of them. Otherwise, the only way to guaranty a good score for a particular event at L7 at any meet is to be able to do the big skills and master them.

My dd did 6 in the fall and a few level 7 meets in the spring. No doubt 6 scored tougher than 5 and 7. There are just higher standards for 6 and lots of room for deductions because it's still compulsory. I also agree that even if the judging criteria are the same, level 6 vault is scored more harshly than level 5. Maybe the judges are looking at it relatively and just seeing bigger and better vaults in level 6.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back