WAG Level 6 or Platinum?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We have a small group of older girls that will either be Level 6 or Platinum this year. Last year Level 6 was pretty similar to platinum so we thought it would be better to keep them together, and we were planning on doing L6. Now with the changes, we are debating on which way to go. It's hard to decide considering the Xcel code isn't out yet. Any thoughts on 6 vs Platinum?

Actually, in some aspects, Level 6 was EASIER than Platinum last year. Now, it is more even. I guess it depends on if you want them to vault up onto the mat stack OR onto the usual surface??

We have a small group of older girls that will either be Level 6 or Platinum this year. Last year Level 6 was pretty similar to platinum so we thought it would be better to keep them together, and we were planning on doing L6. Now with the changes, we are debating on which way to go. It's hard to decide considering the Xcel code isn't out yet. Any thoughts on 6 vs Platinum?
I would make the decision based on vault and bars. Do you have any that might need the dismount flexibility of Platinum? Have they already been working/do you think they will have any trouble learning the vault options for Level 6/7?

Would also consider what the competition is like for each level in you area, can Xcel and JO do all same meets, do you want them in the same meets as the rest of your gyms JO kids?

Would also consider what the competition is like for each level in you area, can Xcel and JO do all same meets, do you want them in the same meets as the rest of your gyms JO kids?[/QUOTE]

I agree -- level 6 and platinum have similar requirements. I could possibly make the case that Platinum is more competitive in my area than level 6. This is because there are very few Diamonds in my state, so platinum girls are doing some high level routines-- many gyms around here use it as the highest level they compete. The strongest JO gyms in our area do level 5, skip 6, go to level 7, so while there are many great gymnasts at level 6, the competition tends to be a bit of a smaller group.

Platinum in my area also tends to skew older. A 12 year old platinum will definitely be in the younger age category in my area, but may actually be a "senior" in level 6 at most local meets. Of course, that doesn't matter much, but if your group is older, they may like competing against more girls their own age. Just a a thought. Good luck!

I would check state meet results to see how popular Platinum is in your area. In my current state it's pretty competitive, especially in the 13+ age groups, I think probably even more competitive than the older level 6 age groups. But that is not the case in every state.
As for skills, I agree that bars (flyaway) and vault will be the most telling events as both levels are really very similar. I really do not anticipate the Xcel code to change that much, but I could be wrong.

What next? Diamond or level 7? Do the kids want JO or do they want xcel for the rest of their careers?

I would need to know that before saying whether 6 or platinum is a better choice.

Reactions: sce
What next? Diamond or level 7? Do the kids want JO or do they want xcel for the rest of their careers?

I would need to know that before saying whether 6 or platinum is a better choice.
Level 6 isn't a required level, so they could get to 7 after a season at either 6 or Platinum.

Thanks for all the feedback. Those are good points. They were xcel before and some had goals of getting to level 7 so they have been doing meets to score out of 4 and 5. Most also do school sports and some are starting our CIT program, so that is probably the direction most of them are going before too long. They have flyaways and have been working on tsuk timers. It makes more sense to do them onto a resi than a regular mat, even if they don't end up flipping it.

I was hoping there wouldn't be too many other changes in the code since it's almost summer. Good idea to check and see how many 6s and Platinums are in our state. I think we have quite a few of both, though many gyms do seem to skip 6.

It is our coach in training program. They shadow coaches and start to do the online coaches courses and safety courses. Our coaches mentor them and they get some training before they begin coaching.

It is our coach in training program. They shadow coaches and start to do the online coaches courses and safety courses. Our coaches mentor them and they get some training before they begin coaching.
Sounds like a great program! Does this automatically mean they don't do gymnastics themselves anymore, or can they combine those 2?

Sounds like a great program! Does this automatically mean they don't do gymnastics themselves anymore, or can they combine those 2?
I know at least at our gym, the coaches in training and actually some of our coaches still compete (One L8 and one Xcel Platinum this season ... and 2 others should be back to competing next season - both L8).

I know at least at our gym, the coaches in training and actually some of our coaches still compete (One L8 and one Xcel Platinum this season ... and 2 others should be back to competing next season - both L8).
This is the way it is with us as well, but I got the feeling that it was different at funflips gym. So I got a bit curious if this was the case and if so, why.

This is the way it is with us as well, but I got the feeling that it was different at funflips gym. So I got a bit curious if this was the case and if so, why.
We have had some high schoolers that do give up competing and JUST coach (plus do high school stuff). It is really just a way to give up the high hours and stress of training, BUT stay involved in gymnastics.

Level 6 isn't a required level, so they could get to 7 after a season at either 6 or Platinum.
Yes and of the gym is flexible enough to move them it really isn’t a JO/Xcel thing. They are looking for the best fit.

Has the xcel code been updated and, if so, can someone tell me of changes you know of for gold and platinum? (Or any level really) Thanks! @raenndrops ??

Has the xcel code been updated and, if so, can someone tell me of changes you know of for gold and platinum? (Or any level really) Thanks! @raenndrops ??
Xcel changes for next season
June 16, 2018

1. ALL beam mounts in ALL divisions are “A” skills unless higher in the COP.

2. Silvers will vault over the resi sideways. handspring over or round off. Stack height 24-48" +/- 2". Focus is on body shapes, NOT height/distance.

3. All bar angles for VP and SR are now aligned. This only affects Silver and Gold…for Silver, VP and SR is 45 below horizontal. For Gold, horizontal is both the VP and SR. Now the SR and VP angles are the same for each Division.
I am waiting on clarification on if casts TO horizontal will still count as value parts for Platinum.

4. Bar angles may now be achieved thru any clear support skill….including but not limited to a cast. So if a Diamond athlete cannot cast to 45 but CAN clear hip to 45, she can meet the SR.

5. Pullover mount may be performed from the high bar as well as the low bar for Silver and Gold.

6. Add to Additional ‘A’ Skill Chart for Silver divisions: From rear support on LB, ¾ seat circle backward (Straddle or pike) dismount.

7. Hecht dismounts are now allowed for Diamonds

8. Incorrect Attire deduction for Xcel is reduced from .2 to .1.

9. Gold beam: split angle requirements increased to 120º SR #2 changed to two different group 2 skills, one with a minimum of 120º split. Isolated or in a series. No longer required to have a connected dance series.

10. Beam: split LEAP (180º) is now a "B" vp skill, provided it has a straight leg entry. If there is a bend, stag, or dévelopé, it is an A. Must be larger than 135º to get B vp.

11. Beam: Concentration pause up to 2 seconds: .1
Concentration pause more than 2 seconds: .2
Floor: concentration pauses prior to difficult elements or series: .1 each time.

Xcel changes for next season
June 16, 2018

1. ALL beam mounts in ALL divisions are “A” skills unless higher in the COP.

2. Silvers will vault over the resi sideways. handspring over or round off. Stack height 24-48" +/- 2". Focus is on body shapes, NOT height/distance.

3. All bar angles for VP and SR are now aligned. This only affects Silver and Gold…for Silver, VP and SR is 45 below horizontal. For Gold, horizontal is both the VP and SR. Now the SR and VP angles are the same for each Division.
I am waiting on clarification on if casts TO horizontal will still count as value parts for Platinum.

4. Bar angles may now be achieved thru any clear support skill….including but not limited to a cast. So if a Diamond athlete cannot cast to 45 but CAN clear hip to 45, she can meet the SR.

5. Pullover mount may be performed from the high bar as well as the low bar for Silver and Gold.

6. Add to Additional ‘A’ Skill Chart for Silver divisions: From rear support on LB, ¾ seat circle backward (Straddle or pike) dismount.

7. Hecht dismounts are now allowed for Diamonds

8. Incorrect Attire deduction for Xcel is reduced from .2 to .1.

9. Gold beam: split angle requirements increased to 120º SR #2 changed to two different group 2 skills, one with a minimum of 120º split. Isolated or in a series. No longer required to have a connected dance series.

10. Beam: split LEAP (180º) is now a "B" vp skill, provided it has a straight leg entry. If there is a bend, stag, or dévelopé, it is an A. Must be larger than 135º to get B vp.

11. Beam: Concentration pause up to 2 seconds: .1
Concentration pause more than 2 seconds: .2
Floor: concentration pauses prior to difficult elements or series: .1 each time.
I knew I could count on you !!!! thanks!

I knew I could count on you !!!! thanks!
You're welcome.
Lol, we are in Region 5 (no congress yet) and our coaches and even the judges are freaking out because Jr High team meets use Platinum rules (with High School Bonus modifications), and the judges don't know the changes yet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back