WAG Level 6 Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Most of our L6 team does the same bar routine - kip, cast, clear hip-kip, squat on, high bar kip, cast, fly away. I have seen this same routine about 250 times at our past 3 meets, so seems common
The only variation is one girl on our team does kip, squat on, high bar kip, cast, clear hip, fly away.
Some tuck their flyaway and some lay it out

From what I understand, requirement for casts is horizontal, but has to be to handstand to get a good score. ODD has good cast to handstands and scores consistently mid 9s. Those on our team that are horizontal or a little above tend to be mid to high 8s

Clear hip is to horizontal, I think, but we have seen several of our girls get their start value knocked down to a 9.5 if it was not a great clear hip. I definitely haven't see clear hip to handstand at our meets in L6

Same routine, K-CHS, FHip to at least horizontal, K-SO, then jump to HB, K-CHS flyaway.
only 3 girls can Kip to a good HS. these girls were supposed to do L7, but had some connection issues so are doing L6 instead. Their FHip to horizontalis hit or miss. Cast on the high bar is also to above horizontal. They get scores between 9 and 9.4. No one has hit the routine perfectly yet and managed over a 9.5 and from what I have seen so far, most scores are in the 8s at the competitions. I have seen even quite a few 7s. So far the meets we have gone to are huge with 2000+ kids.

Munch gets to above horizontal on both KCast and on the FHip, she gets a good height on high bar cast.....but she is inconsistent and usually plays it safe at the meets and does not make the height requirements. She has scored between 8.2 to 8.7 so far.

I still don't understand the Handstand deductions even though horizontal is required......I haven't a clue which is what and how that is scored......But whatever.....seems like high 8s are quite good. At one meet the Gold went to 8.95 on bars....

Every cast (except the cast to squat on) is judged against handstand height. Meaning, there are form deductions each time a cast doesn't reach handstand, with the largest deduction being a .3 for a cast that is just over horizontal. There is an additional .5 deduction to start value if at least one of the casts doesn't reach over horizontal. And there is also a height deduction (I think it is .3 again) if your hips do not go above the top bar in the fly away dismount.

My dd doesn't have a competition-ready handstand yet, so other than one meet where they truly gifted her an 8.9, she has been scoring mid 8s on a tight, solid routine without the handstand.

OK, Tex so this is what I am understanding:
First kip cast to over horizontal by a little.....deduction on degrees away from Hanstand -.3
freehip to horizontal keeps your 10 start value, if Free hip is NOT to horizontal, it drops SV to 9.50?
second kip cast to over horizontal, but not to handstand also -.3 deduction.....

so, if munch can do a very clean routine, with no form issues (which is very unlikely) where all requirements are made, but handstands are not, then technically she would be at 9.40....
If you make NO handstands, and NO free hip to horizontal, then you should be around 8.90? what if you make NO horizontals and every cast is slightly under horizontal?
all other deductions aside??
just trying to understand.

Just keep in mind that the dismount height is going to be almost impossible to make if you don't have a big cast coming into it. She won't have the momentum. So, if you aren't getting a near handstand or giant leading into the dismount, you are probably stuck with that .3 deduction on the dismount height as well.

OK, Tex so this is what I am understanding:
First kip cast to over horizontal by a little.....deduction on degrees away from Hanstand -.3
freehip to horizontal keeps your 10 start value, if Free hip is NOT to horizontal, it drops SV to 9.50?
second kip cast to over horizontal, but not to handstand also -.3 deduction.....

so, if munch can do a very clean routine, with no form issues (which is very unlikely) where all requirements are made, but handstands are not, then technically she would be at 9.40....
If you make NO handstands, and NO free hip to horizontal, then you should be around 8.90? what if you make NO horizontals and every cast is slightly under horizontal?
all other deductions aside??
just trying to understand.

My DD is a 6. We were lead to believe that it would be the 9.5 SV without cast OVER horizontal (my DD routinely gets TO horizontal but not over), but that she will lose 0.3 for every cast (so 0.9 for her)- so functionally starting from a 8.6 even if the card says 9.5. That's not even taking the height on the clear hips into account. I'm told that her routine is actually nice and clean but she loses the cast SV for horizontal every time, and her clear hips are also low. Just yesterday she had a 9.5 SV again (the cast requirement) and scored a 7.85. For perspective, she had a teammate compete with NO dismount at all (just jumped down off the high bar after her clear hip- long story)- but she gets to handstand in all of her casts and scored an 8.8 even without a dismount and without enough As.

If this helps, this is my dd's flyaway where she received the deduction for not being high enough on her dismount. I'm not sure at what exact moment that hip has to be above the bar, but this one wasn't good enough at this particular meet.

Of course, judges and their perception vary from meet
JJ flyaway.jpg
to meet.

So for dismount, what is the requirement for the flyaway? what if the hips are AT bar height?
At Level 6, any A (minimum) dismount is acceptable… they can do a flyaway, they can do an under swing (clear or toe on), or they can do a B dismount. We have a few L6 that do an under swing dismount and score well (all things… like cast angles considered).

My DD is a 6. We were lead to believe that it would be the 9.5 SV without cast OVER horizontal (my DD routinely gets TO horizontal but not over), but that she will lose 0.3 for every cast (so 0.9 for her)- so functionally starting from a 8.6 even if the card says 9.5. That's not even taking the height on the clear hips into account. I'm told that her routine is actually nice and clean but she loses the cast SV for horizontal every time, and her clear hips are also low. Just yesterday she had a 9.5 SV again (the cast requirement) and scored a 7.85. For perspective, she had a teammate compete with NO dismount at all (just jumped down off the high bar after her clear hip- long story)- but she gets to handstand in all of her casts and scored an 8.8 even without a dismount and without enough As.
I wonder if the other girl got credit for an under swing dismount (just with deductions for form)?

What is the deduction for an archy swing before the flyaway? DD tends to kip, cast high and gets kinda archy.....she swoops down archy, and then does the flyaway as you see in the pic.

I wonder if the other girl got credit for an under swing dismount (just with deductions for form)?
Nope. It was noted on her card. She literally just dropped down- it was planned. She has a flyaway block but is our team's best beam worker and solid on floor too. She normally scratches vault and bars, but she competed everything yesterday so she could qualify for states.

Most of our L6 team does the same bar routine - kip, cast, clear hip-kip, squat on, high bar kip, cast, fly away. I have seen this same routine about 250 times at our past 3 meets, so seems common
The only variation is one girl on our team does kip, squat on, high bar kip, cast, clear hip, fly away.
Some tuck their flyaway and some lay it out

This is what out gyms does. My dd has just over horizontal casts and is scoring in the high 8s.

Just keep in mind that the dismount height is going to be almost impossible to make if you don't have a big cast coming into it. She won't have the momentum. So, if you aren't getting a near handstand or giant leading into the dismount, you are probably stuck with that .3 deduction on the dismount height as well.

Interesting. My dd is getting nice height with barely casting over horizontal. When she casts higher, and this is why she doesn't :), she gets tremendous height on the tuck flyaway and it scares her. She almost has to do a layout flyaway when her casts are high.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back