WAG Level 7 floor deduction.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mom2-4

Proud Parent
A mom I know whose DD goes to another gym had a discussion with another mom from her team during this weekends meet. The other mom complained to my friend that her daughter should have done a full in her tumbling series since she is capable of doing them. I saw a lot of level 7 fulls in routines that scored poorly. My friend thinks they are not allowed at L7. I just think the deductions were for being poorly executed. If the first case is true what is the deduction for doing a skill that is not allowed. I think the other mom is a little upset that the girl with the clean routine and layout scored much higher than her DD with a little higher difficulty but not as clean. My DD stepped out of a 1.5 turn and lost credit. I looked up skills and only a 360 is required. What is the deduction for the missing part? I am not going to question the HC but why the 1.5 if no added value or even required.

Fulls are allowed in L7 floor routines. My DD ended her routine with a full. For most gymnasts, a full will take more deductions than a layout, which is why many girls do fulls at practice and compete layouts. My child just happens to stink at layouts. :) Is your DD's 1.5 turn one of her required B skills?

Reactions: sce
Not Sure About the 1.5 this is how the routine goes. RO-BHS-LO, switch leap, FHS-FT 1.5 turn. Some Hitch kicks. Chasse.

Not Sure About the 1.5 this is how the routine goes. RO-BHS-LO, switch leap, FHS-FT 1.5 turn. Some Hitch kicks. Chasse.
97% sure that L7 requires 2 B skills, your DD's switch leap was one and her 3/2 turn was the other. This would have cost her 7 tenths if she lost the credit for the turn, because she was missing a special requirement (.5) and she was missing a B skill (.2)

Reactions: sce
She probably got credit for the turn if she finished at least the 360. But not the .2 for the B. She still scored 8.9 and had a deduction for not using the entire floor, per coach. She had a large step backward on her front tuck. And I don't think the switch was perfect. I might be missing another B but I don't think so.

She probably got credit for the turn if she finished at least the 360. But not the .2 for the B. She still scored 8.9 and had a deduction for not using the entire floor, per coach. She had a large step backward on her front tuck. And I don't think the switch was perfect. I might be missing another B but I don't think so.

Wait! If the whole floor isn't used, is there a deduction? I was wondering this exact same thing after DD's first meet last week. While watching her video, I noticed she only danced and tumbled between two corners (the diagonal) totally ignoring the other 2 corners.
DD is an level 6.

Our gym never has our L7's compete fulls - and many of them have been doing fulls for years and have them very solid. Too many deduction risks is their theory. 2 B's are required - popular 6/7 floor B's include a switch leap, 1.5 turn and a front pike. Our 7 routines are composed of 2 out of those 3 depending on which ones the particular gymnast can do the most consistent w/ fewest possible deductions. We also only do 2 tumbling passes - the required layout one and the front handspring front tuck/pike.

Our 6's have one less B depending on the gymnasts strengths (some don't switch leap, some don't 1.5 turn, some front tuck vs. pike), and they will usually not do a front handspring before their front tuck/pike because it's not required. Also a lot more tucks than layouts for a back pass unless the gymnast is really strong at layouts (I think we only have 2 6's who do layouts).

Judges seem to like clean skills w/ good form a lot better than difficulty in L6/L7. I haven't watched a lot of L8+ meets yet, but people tell me that changes a bit with L8 where you need some extra difficulty to stand out to score high.

I guess it's a worldwide thing, but I find that judges will always reward execution over difficulty. Here in Australia we don't have a limit on what difficulty of skills you can do in Level 7-10, so if you want to do 7 D or E skills you can, but there is always the risk that you will lose more than what it's worth in the execution. And that's the trick for the coaches, I suppose - to put together a routine that gives the gymnast the best score for them.

Having said that, I notice that some coaches choose skills with a higher D score with a lower chance of error, with a focus on the here-and-now rather than long term skill development. For example that wolf turn on floor and the korbut on beam. That might be great in Level 7 or 8, but whether you can build on it in Level 9 or 10 to start getting bonuses will be a new challenge.

Our gym never has our L7's compete fulls - and many of them have been doing fulls for years and have them very solid. Too many deduction risks is their theory. 2 B's are required - popular 6/7 floor B's include a switch leap, 1.5 turn and a front pike. Our 7 routines are composed of 2 out of those 3 depending on which ones the particular gymnast can do the most consistent w/ fewest possible deductions. We also only do 2 tumbling passes - the required layout one and the front handspring front tuck/pike.

Our 6's have one less B depending on the gymnasts strengths (some don't switch leap, some don't 1.5 turn, some front tuck vs. pike), and they will usually not do a front handspring before their front tuck/pike because it's not required. Also a lot more tucks than layouts for a back pass unless the gymnast is really strong at layouts (I think we only have 2 6's who do layouts).

Judges seem to like clean skills w/ good form a lot better than difficulty in L6/L7. I haven't watched a lot of L8+ meets yet, but people tell me that changes a bit with L8 where you need some extra difficulty to stand out to score high.

At L6&7 there are no composition deductions, including no "up to level" deduction, so a clean simple routine will score better than more difficulty. Starting at L8 there are more composition deductions to consider.

A handful of girls competed them this past weekend and DD overheard that they were all scoring out of 7 at the meet.

It was my understanding that difficulty/compostition didn't come into play until Level 8 (or is it 9?).

In either case 6/7 as long as the required elements are there, "less" difficult but clean will always beat "more" difficult but less clean.

Our optional routines the girls will compete the cleaner minimum skill. They leave the harder skills for uptraining at practice and won't compete until clean.

Check with your coach. There are lots of reasons to vary from the "stock" Level 7 FX routine.
General: A layout is a requirement. A 1/1 is allowed. No bonus or "extra" credit for more difficult skills. Allowable C skills receive B credit and subject to the appropriate deductions when executed.
Specific: Requirements: L7 FX: 5 A's and 2 B's. Max time 1:30. (1) One acro series (min. 3 elements) including a back layout to feet, (2) A direct connection of 2 or more forward elements (1 a salto or series). (3) Dance passage w/min. of 2 different Grp 1 elements - one a leap (180')or side split. (4) Min. of 360' turn.

Best wishes, SBG -

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back