Level 7 floor routine question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

In a level 7 floor routine, do you need 2 A dance skills or 2 B dance skills? We had a routine done recently and DD coach said she has 2 A dance skills not 2 Bs and she wants to change the routine.

Optional Requirement Chart (page 2)

The routine needs 5 A skills and 2 B skills total. If her acro skills are not Bs, then she will need to get some Bs in there, so that may be why the coach is changing it. Examples of a B acro skill would be a front pike, front layout, back full twist.

A 1 1/2 turn is commonly performed B dance element in L7, as is a switch leap.

Thanks for the help. I do know that she is doing back layouts, but the rest I have no idea. She just moved to the level and it is a lot different than compulsory levels. Thanks again. Joyce:eek:

The back layout is an A. That is fine, I have seen many nice L7 routines with back layout, front tuck and back tuck (if there's a third pass) which are all As. It shouldn't be too hard to get two dance Bs. I am sure your daughter can already do several of them.

DD is at new gym and she can do many of B skills that coach doesn't know about and DD is afraid to tell her that she can do them better than the skills the new coach wants her to do. She is 9 and is still trying to get use to new gym. She hasn't done several of B skills at new gym and she thinks that is going to loose the skills since shes not doing them. She wants me to talk to them but I don't want to cause problems, any advice on that?

Do you mean practicing them at practice or putting them in the routine? Many L7s are training back full twists and front layouts, but do not compete them because it isn't necessary to get a good score, and will probably result in unnecessary deductions. But if the coach doesn't even know she has practiced them before, I would talk to them. It could just be that they are working out the details of routines right now and focusing on what skills the girls can do with few "warm-ups" and mats. But I don't think it's out of line to drop the coach and email or talk to them. They might not want to push your DD into certain skills right now because they don't know her past history and comfort level with them.

My daughter tonight told me that there are so many skills that she learned at old gym and the new coaches don't know so she is not doing them at practice even. Example, old gym no problem doing back handspring on regular beam, went to new gym and that practice on high beam with air thing on it. She tried doing BHS on regular beam last weekend and couldn't do it. I told her when she first went there to tell coach what she did on each event but afraid to and just does what they tell her to do. So she lost the skill on regular beam now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back