MAG Level 7 vs. Level 8

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

Gym dad

Proud Parent
So my son is a first-year level seven. He is 11 years old but after the age change they make him compete as a 12 year old. Therefore when he becomes an level eight next year as a 13 year old it is my understanding that he will be too old to qualify for Nationals. I think he could qualify for Nationals this year if he was a level eight. He would not do well at Nationals but I guess my question is would doing level 8 and qualifying for Nationals be more beneficial than just staying at level seven and having a more successful year?

My son did the jump from L6 to L8, having competed L6 at age 10. It was hard, and that was even before they added all the special requirements. I don't think anyone can answer your question in the abstract without more information about what skills your son has and how well he's doing them. On what basis do you believe he'd make it to nationals? I don't think anyone can know that now, since we are still a few months out from the men's program setting allotments, and it's entirely possible that last year's anomaly will be adjusted (a far higher percentage of 8s qualified than 9s or 10s).

Your son's coach may also have plans to jump him from 7 to 9. My son's age cohort was also bitten by the age change and I'm seeing a number of different trajectories that will presumably all wind up in the same place. This year, he's seeing some 14 year old kids who did 7 and 8 (at age 13) before moving to 9, and others who did 7 and then went to 9 last year and are now in their second year at L9. My son had a very rough year at L8 and a rough first year at L9, but now seems to have his feet more back under him. Regardless, I expect pretty much everyone who stuck it out will show up as 10s next year. Depending on your son's ambitions in the sport, L10 is where it really starts to matter.

Making nationals is tough. Even if he moved to 8, it may or may not happen. If he does 1 year of 8 at 13, and is ready for 9 the next year, he is right on track.

One thing our coach always says is that the level does not matter, the gymnastics progression does. So if he is making progress, and learning, then I would go with what your coach thinks he si ready for. Moving and struggling may not be what is best for him.

If you truly think he could qualify for nationals this year, then there is no real reason for him to be a 7. But know taht they are supposedly lowering the percentage that qualifies for L8 as last year it was close to 50%.

Making nationals is tough. Even if he moved to 8, it may or may not happen. If he does 1 year of 8 at 13, and is ready for 9 the next year, he is right on track.

One thing our coach always says is that the level does not matter, the gymnastics progression does. So if he is making progress, and learning, then I would go with what your coach thinks he si ready for. Moving and struggling may not be what is best for him.

If you truly think he could qualify for nationals this year, then there is no real reason for him to be a 7. But know taht they are supposedly lowering the percentage that qualifies for L8 as last year it was close to 50%.

This

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back