WAG Level 8 bars skill question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ali'sMom

Proud Parent
Can someone tell me what a B skill "with flight" would be on bars? (I'm assuming a turn is a pirouette?)
  • 1 Element (minimum of “B”) with flight (the mount is ok) or turn (cannot be the mount or dismount)
Thanks!

The first thing I think of is a kip cut catch:

For the rest, maybe the Chinese sit up? I have no idea of the value... The video box says level 8 and 9 skill so I assume it can be used

The turn is typically a pirouette as you probably know. The flight means a release move which you can substitute for the pirouette - I have seen people use a bail or a toe shoot (I think that's what it's called - kind of start to do a sole circle but then fling up and grab the high bar from the low) as a substitute for the pirouette - they may be C's, but I think you are allowed to do C's and they count as a B. There may be other B's that count, but I'm not sure what they are and don't think I've seen anything else in Level 8 but those two and the pirouette.

The first thing I think of is a kip cut catch:

For the rest, maybe the Chinese sit up? I have no idea of the value... The video box says level 8 and 9 skill so I assume it can be used

The bottom video is what I was calling a "toe shoot" in my post. I've seen that done in L8. That gymnast performed it very well - many struggle w/ a strong kip cast handstand out of those and that's why you usually don't see it till L9...kids who can do them well usually have a pirouette long before.

That kip cut is pretty cool - never seen it in L8 though - something about it doesn't look "hard enough" ;) - and going between the bars (high to low, low to high) MIGHT be a requirement - not sure.

The typical Level 8 flight skills would be a bail (shootover), a straddle back, or a hecht (also called a toe shoot to high bar or, apparently, a Chinese hiccup/sit-up).

On bars an "element of flight" is a release move - usually a straddle back or shoot over (bail), but also a toe shoot to HB...OR they can do a pirouette (there are probably other B value elements with a 1/2 turn, but the most common in level 8 is a handstand 1/2 pirouette).

I've never seen a bail in lv 8...the only variation I've seen is instead of a free hip, some girls will do a stalder or toe on.

Here is a video from last year when my dd was an 8. She does a toe on instead of a free hip. Hope that helps...

That kip cut is pretty cool - never seen it in L8 though - something about it doesn't look "hard enough" ;) - and going between the bars (high to low, low to high) MIGHT be a requirement - not sure.

I have no idea either, but I was watching a high school gymnastics meet and a lot of the girls did them. The commentator (or however you call it, the person who talks while the girls do gymnastics) said it was a flight element. You'll have to look it up in the code to be sure though. And yes it is easier, I think all other releases are C or more and this one is a B

I've never seen a bail in lv 8...the only variation I've seen is instead of a free hip, some girls will do a stalder or toe on.

Here is a video from last year when my dd was an 8. She does a toe on instead of a free hip. Hope that helps...

But that doesnt have flight... she does a pirouette, which is the other option.

In our gym, the L8s do a pirouette or straddle back or a straddle cut. They are just now working on bails, but the one girl will keep competing her straddle back as it is gorgeous!

I have no idea either, but I was watching a high school gymnastics meet and a lot of the girls did them. The commentator (or however you call it, the person who talks while the girls do gymnastics) said it was a flight element. You'll have to look it up in the code to be sure though. And yes it is easier, I think all other releases are C or more and this one is a B
The straddle cut is a B skill... but it is not necessarily as easy as it looks, lol. We have a 2 year L8 (going into her third year... but she WAS injured part of both seasons) that can't do it because she "cant let go of the bar" ... and we have several high school gymnasts working them, but they also have issues letting go.

They are more common in high school gym here than they are in JO. I'm not sure I've ever seen one in JO competition but have judged a few in high school. They are tricky, hard to work out of, and not really a progression towards anything else. In high school gym, it's a good skill to have.

But that doesnt have flight... she does a pirouette, which is the other option.

In our gym, the L8s do a pirouette or straddle back or a straddle cut. They are just now working on bails, but the one girl will keep competing her straddle back as it is gorgeous!
I was just stating, that out of all the lv 8 meets I've been to, and all the lv 8 bar routines I've watched on YouTube (which feels like a zillion) I've never seen a bail competed. Not saying it's not done, I'm just saying it must be extremely rare.

Reactions: sce
I've never seen a bail for L8 but around here many compete the chinese (toe shoot low to high bar) instead of the pirouette. It's especially common for older, taller girls.

I was just stating, that out of all the lv 8 meets I've been to, and all the lv 8 bar routines I've watched on YouTube (which feels like a zillion) I've never seen a bail competed. Not saying it's not done, I'm just saying it must be extremely rare.
It might not be done much, if at all because if you accidentally hit HS before and go to HS, it's an unallowed skill (a D) ... and most coaches would rather see it to HS so they wait until L9.

eta: If they do not hit HS either before or after, the bail is only a B. If they start in HS, but do not end in HS, it is a C.

It might not be done much, if at all because if you accidentally hit HS before and go to HS, it's an unallowed skill (a D) ... and most coaches would rather see it to HS so they wait until L9.

eta: If they do not hit HS either before or after, the bail is only a B. If they start in HS, but do not end in HS, it is a C.
Do you know what it is if they don't start in handstand but do finish in handstand?

Question- I was under the impression that any skill that does not hit hand stand takes a deduction in optionals. So doing an overshoot out of a NOT handstand would be a deduction, right? And in L9 is there a deduction for doing one that doesn't end in a handstand, or is that different? This sport is so confusing for this mom! HA!

Question- I was under the impression that any skill that does not hit hand stand takes a deduction in optionals. So doing an overshoot out of a NOT handstand would be a deduction, right? And in L9 is there a deduction for doing one that doesn't end in a handstand, or is that different? This sport is so confusing for this mom! HA!
Its not deductions, it lowers the value part. A shootover (bail) from HS to HS is a restricted element in level 8 because its a D.

Reactions: sce
Its not deductions, it lowers the value part. A shootover (bail) from HS to HS is a restricted element in level 8 because its a D.

That makes sense, and honestly I never saw anything but the pirouette in level 8. But if you did it in level 8-not out of handstand into not handstand, do you get a deduction for not hitting handstand on the high bar before the over shoot? For doing another cast that doesn't hit HS?

Thank you all!

I'm trying to get options for a gymmie going for L8 who doesn't have her pirouette yet... (wasn't trained at all over the summer, and just changed gyms this week, Pretty sure she will be able to get the pirouette, but I'm helping the mom out and trying to see her options, just for her own curiosity)

That makes sense, and honestly I never saw anything but the pirouette in level 8. But if you did it in level 8-not out of handstand into not handstand, do you get a deduction for not hitting handstand on the high bar before the over shoot? For doing another cast that doesn't hit HS?
No, you don't. You do get a deduction for not hitting the high-bar handstand for L9/10 and elite, level 8 is an exception (it was at least)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back