WAG Level 8 Beam Series

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

bailsandblinds

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
I have an athlete who is struggling with her handspring handspring connection, but can pull off back tuck into back hand and 2 fluid back tucks. What actually qualifies as a series of these, if any? Looking for constructive feedback!

Have you considered a series with a forward skill? Mine does a FHS series because the only BHS series she could do was HS-BHS...fine for level 7 but not for level 8.

Have you considered a series with a forward skill? Mine does a FHS series because the only BHS series she could do was HS-BHS...fine for level 7 but not for level 8.

She has a front toss to back handspring, but that's restricted for level 8. Worked front handsprings over summer, but her back tucks are HUGE so she would like to pursue them.

She can't do BT+BT in level 8 because she is limited to one "C" acro. It's hard to truly connect a BT + BHS but if you want to send me video, I'd let you know if I'd credit it.

Also, the minimum for level 8 is only a series with one flight skill - so she could do BWO + BHS or CW + RO and then the standing back tuck alone, with the plan to do tuck, tuck as a level 9.

In level 8 beam does the series have to end on the beam. I notice this year, level 7, girls are doing BWO BHS back tuck dismount. DD' ss best bud does it, she says she feels Like she is cheating.

In level 8 beam does the series have to end on the beam. I notice this year, level 7, girls are doing BWO BHS back tuck dismount. DD' ss best bud does it, she says she feels Like she is cheating.
The series does end on the beam....and then she dismounts. It certainly isnt cheating, its just not as common. But amazingly talented girls do it.

Reactions: sce
DD's friend isn't cconsistent with BWO BHS. But into the dismount she says she can be off the BHS but it doesn't matter as the pass is continuing so as Long as her feet get down she can dismount.

Our coaches had an open heated discussion about this during the Atlantis crown a few weeks ago that is why I asked.

To answer the original question, yes, if they are truly connected, BT+BHS and BT+BT are beam series. However, at level 8 the BT BT is not allowed. We have a girl who does a BWO+BT and the judges like it because its different.

Regarding the question about series finishing on the beam, for all JO levels requiring a tumbling series on the beam, the series MUST start AND finish on the balance beam.

The BWO+BHS+BT dismount gets credit because of the BWO+BHS (that is the series that starts and finishes on the beam - the fact that she can connect the dismount out of it is pretty awesome). IF she fell in between or didn’t connect the BWO and BHS, but did connect the BHS+BT dismount, she would NOT get credit for the SR of a connected acro series.

^^Yes, my DD did BWO+BHS as her series in L8, then had a separate back tuck.
Is the back tuck required in level 8? My Dd is level 7 - just trying to figure out what she will need next year. I thought it was just connected acro series with 1 Element that has flight.

DDs coach is wanting her to do BHS-BHS-BT dismount. DD is not so keen on it..! She currently does BHS-BHS series and RO-BT dismount that sometimes goes back to a CW-BT.... goal should be RO-BLO... she is L8.

Her coach probably wants her to learn the BHS BHS BT dsmt as prep for harder dismount series in level 9 and up. However, there is a composition deduction at level 8 and up if athletes only have tumbling skills in one direction (ex. All backwards skills) so the round off (which is also worth the same as a BHS) is a good thing to have.

Almost all our gyms younger kids do back acro dismounts some starting as early as level six with a back handspring or even back walkover into back tuck dismount. Then progressing to BHS BHS back something dismount. Not all of them keep it but it works great in those lower optional levels where you can get lots of skills and requirements in one swoop. Coach seems to like to do it that way. Then if a strong roundoff develops great or if the kid has a strong series dismount even better.

My dd was relieved that she already had a strong roundoff dismount when we arrived at this gym. She finds the back series to dismount super scary and was worried they would try to get her to switch it. Instead she is pursuing multiple three part connections and series and upgrading her roundoff dismount.

I find it so interesting to watch how different gyms and coaches approach things and how things evolve as a gymnast matures to the highest levels. I am very thankful for creative coaching at our gym.

Agreed on differing gyms differing approaches. The girls in the carpool told me the owner/headcoach insisted three of the girls switch from BWO BHS series to BWO BHS BT dismount. He wanted them to be successful they were all falling on the series. My DD does BHS BHS her dismount is RO layout, she prefers RO full but coach tells her save that skill for next year. Focus on fine tuning.

I guess my point is as parents we aren't privy to the coaches plan for each gymnast. It's good to know those plans exist.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back