Parents Level 8 skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MuggleMom

Proud Parent
What are the big level 8 skills for most evens. I know its optionals so you have options :) however I was curious what the most common skills were for each event.

I know you need to flip a vault for level 8
What dismount do you need for bars? I think you need a pirouette?
Beam is a series but whats the other biggies?
Floor I think you need a Salto Salto pass right? Do you need a full?

I am thinking more acro requirements than dance. I knew all the requirements up till 7 pretty good but I know after 7 it gets more complicated.

Alright I want to amend slightly whats the biggest difference between 7 and 8 they seem a bit similar but maybe I am wrong.

I'm not completely sure the exact requirements, but a common level 8 bar routine is kip cast handstand, half pirouette, kip squat/pike on, jump to the high bar, kip cast handstand clear hip handstand or toe hand, giant, giant, layout flyaway. I've also seen some girls do the circling skill on the low bar instead. For beam, you need some sort of series with at least one flight element that starts and ends on the beam. Some examples: bwo bhs, bhs bhs, bhs loso, etc. If both skills in the series have flight, you don't need another acro skill with flight. If only one skill has flight (like if you do a bwo bhs) then you have to include another flight skill somewhere else in the routine (ex. back tuck). You also need a turn of at least 360 degrees, a leap or jump with a split of at least 180 degrees (a lot of gymnasts will do a switch leap), and some sort of aerial or salto dismount (ex. roundoff tuck, bhs tuck, etc.) For floor you need some sort of pass with at least 2 saltos (ex. front tuck step out round off bhs layout, front handspring front layout front tuck, round off whip full, round off bhs 1.5 front tuck, etc). You also need 3 saltos in the entire routine. I don't think you necessarily need a full for level 8, but it would be good to train them anyway. If you don't have one, here is an example of a floor routine that I think would still fulfill the requirements: front handspring front layout front tuck, front handspring front pike, round off bhs layout, and the required dance. I'm not completely sure about all of the requirements so feel free to correct me or add on to what I wrote.

So you could still do Handstand BHS as your series in level 8 but you would need another acro element in the routine? could it be another BHS or would it need to be a Back Tuck? could you do just a back tuck discount or front tuck dismount or does it need to be connected to a flight element or other element? I feel like beam is where I get the most confused because it doesnt seem terribly different from level 7

So you could still do Handstand BHS as your series in level 8 but you would need another acro element in the routine? could it be another BHS or would it need to be a Back Tuck? could you do just a back tuck discount or front tuck dismount or does it need to be connected to a flight element or other element? I feel like beam is where I get the most confused because it doesnt seem terribly different from level 7

I don't know a lot but I think a lot of our girls do a roundoff into the dismount for their other flight. I don't think the dismount can count as the second flight element.

Correct. The 2nd flight element has to start and end on the beam so a back tuck or front tuck dismount wouldn't meet the requirement.

My daughter's plan for Level 8 for floor passes is front tuck- front tuck, RO BHS layout, and RO BHS full.

For beam flight elements- BHS-BHS series, and round off, back tuck dismount.

Bars- kip CHS, pirouette, kip, jump to high bar, free hip handstand, giant, giant, flyaway.

Vault- Flipping tsuk

There really isn't much difference between an upgraded level 7 routine and a basic level 8 routine. I'm pretty sure that the routine my dd competed in level 7 would have filled the minimum requirements for level 8 except maybe she was missing one b element. But the requirements for level 8 beam are:
  • Acro series with a minimum of two elements
  • One acro flight element (this can also be performed within the series)
  • One leap or jump that meets the 180° split requirement
  • Minimum of 360°turn
  • Minimum of an ‘A’ salto dismount
There is only one acro flight element required and it can be in the series or not (but usually is). They also need 4 B and 4 A skills compared to level 7 which only needed 2 B and 5 A which is why you sometimes see the extra skills like a back tuck thrown in.

There really isn't much difference between an upgraded level 7 routine and a basic level 8 routine. I'm pretty sure that the routine my dd competed in level 7 would have filled the minimum requirements for level 8 except maybe she was missing one b element. But the requirements for level 8 beam are:
  • Minimum of 360°turn
There is only one acro flight element required and it can be in the series or not (but usually is). They also need 4 B and 4 A skills compared to level 7 which only needed 2 B and 5 A which is why you sometimes see the extra skills like a back tuck thrown in.

yes, this is correct! To me the big differentiating factor between 7&8 is the vault. And I suppose the half pirouette. But the vault is the real big deal.

• Minimum of 360°turn
Actually I'm wrong. Sorry! The series does have to have 1 element with flight.

Same as Level 7 except #1.
1. Acro Series – min. of 2 elements, 1
w/ Flight. (Excludes mnt/dmt)

My daughter's level 8 routine was almost identical to level 7 except the cartwheel back tuck became a round off back tuck and she added a switch leap I think.

As most said the special requirements(except for vault) are not that different. Main differences:

UB - B turn or flight
BB - series must include a flight element (just FYI handstand BHS cannot count for level 8, both elements must pass thru not just achieve vertical and a 2nd acro flight is not a special requirement but a composition deduction, see below)
FX - 2 salto pass and 3 saltos total

Other then these the main differneces are needing 4 B’s(so more difficult elements) and composition deductions. Here are the most common(Most common not all) composition deductions taken at level 8. At level 8 looking for a balance of B’s between acro and dance and B’s to fulfill special requirements. Comp deductions are used at the higher levels to separate those performing more difficult routines with more variety.

Beam
Acro not up to level - up to 0.2
Dance not up to level - up to 0.2
Dismount not up to level - up to 0.1
Failure to perform acro in both directions - 0.1
Lack of dance series - 0.2

Floor
Acro not up to level - up to 0.2
Dance not up to level - up to 0.2
Last salto not up to competitive level - up to 0.1
Failure to perform saltos in both directions - 0.1
No B turn - 0.2

To use as an example, the routines M2Abi describe above would receive the following comp ded:

UB - none
BB - none (including a dance series with 2 B’s like straddle jump/split jump and an A turn would cover dance comp)
FX - acro not up to level 0.1 (adding common leap passage like switch leap/straddle jump and a B turn like 1 1/2 would cover dance comp)

Feel free to ask any follow up questions!

Yes you can do handstand bhs as your series as long as you have one other flight element in the routine that starts and ends on the beam. Bhs is ok, but a back/front tuck dismount does not count because it doesn't finish on the beam. And no, the other flight skill doesn't need to be connected to another skill, but you could connect it if you wanted to. Hopefully this helps!

Just wanted to reiterate that a handstand/back handspring does not fulfill the series special requirement for level 8, no matter what else is included in the routine. The series requirement is a little complicated, but a non-flight acro element that requires a 2 sec hold(like a handstand) cannot be used as the first element in the series for level 8(it can for level 6/7).

that a handstand/back handspring does not fulfill the series special requirement for level 8, no matter what else is included in the routine. The series requirement is a little complicated, but a non-flight acro element that requires a 2 sec hold(like a handstand) cannot be used as the first element in the series for level 8(it can for level 6/7).

This makes sense I was thinking the series requirement would be harder for 8 and that does make it harder. DD is doing HS BHS for level 7 and I was wondering if it would still work for 8 but it looks like it will not.

And I guess level 8 is where the up to level deductions start as well adding some drama to scoring.

This is all good to know. DD will be level 7 this year but I saw her getting some level 8 skills so I was curious what that level looks like. I enjoy these threads I knew what to look for in compusories because its very cut and dry but with with all the options in optionals it can be hard to see where you are on the spectrum with the different levels.

Follow up question do you need 3 tumbling passes for level 8? I know at some point you need more than 2 wasnt sure if 8 is when that happens.

Follow up question do you need 3 tumbling passes for level 8? I know at some point you need more than 2 wasnt sure if 8 is when that happens.
There is actually no level where 3 passes are required, it just gets harder to fulfill the requirements with no composition deductions in 2 passes. An up to level level 8 routine with 2 passes would be front layout/front pike and RO/back 1/2/front tuck.

You need 3 tumbling passes if the first 2 aren't up to level, so that you don't receive the composition deduction. A 2 pass routine with no composition deduction needs B+B (FLO+FP)in the first pass and C+A or C (3/2 + FT)in 2nd pass. If you did a 3 pass routine you need only need 3 Bs or 2Bs and A+A.

Just for fun an example of 2 pass routines that fulfill requirements with no up to level deductons:

Level 9 - both passes need C salto and acro connection bonus
Front layout/front full
RO/BHS/back 3/2/front tuck

Level 10 - both passes have E or one pass E, 2nd pass D with direct salto connection
RO/BHS/double layout
Front layout/rudi

I believe the UB dismount has to be upgraded to a double back, or a twisting dismount in order to not get dinged for up to level.

I believe the UB dismount has to be upgraded to a double back, or a twisting dismount in order to not get dinged for up to level.
For level 8 just has to be a B dismount(like layout full) or an A salto dismount coming from a B element(like a giant). It’s pretty rare to take at level 8, gymnast would have to be doing something like tuck flyaway from horizontal cast.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back