Parents Level 8 skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

For vault, she is doing a yurchenko, which is getting better but not yet consistent. She has good days where they look really nice and off days where she’s not getting enough block/height to land it on a mat. She’s hoping to get more consistent before the season starts, but if she has an “off day” at a meet, does anyone know if she can compete a timer and what the start value would be? Thanks!

Our team definitely had some girls that just competed Tsuk or Yurchenko timers. (Coaches policy was that if they weren't safe to compete it without a spot, they would do a timer.) I believe that start value for either one (as a L8) was 9.0.

For vault, she is doing a yurchenko, which is getting better but not yet consistent. She has good days where they look really nice and off days where she’s not getting enough block/height to land it on a mat. She’s hoping to get more consistent before the season starts, but if she has an “off day” at a meet, does anyone know if she can compete a timer and what the start value would be? Thanks!

We had some girls that didn't flip last year at level 8. They competed a yurchenko timer to their feet and had a 9.0 start value. It's definitely better than trying to throw a flip that isn't ready. But I will say that the scores for timers were pretty low. Usually mid 7s to low 8s. My daughter was injured last season and only competed vault at one meet. Her coach decided she would likely score better by flipping and rolling out of it instead of trying to land a timer (she was ~8 weeks out from a broken ankle). She got an 8.0.

FX - a front pike is worth the same as a f layout(both B’s). A 3 pass level 8 routine just needs a B in every pass to be up to level so back full/back half/front pike-front tuck fulfills it.

BB - routine with BWO-BHS series and a back tuck is 0.1 comp deduction. Doesn’t matter what else is in the routine, that series means at least 0.1 off though without the back tuck would be 0.15. Cartwheel to layout would get a 0.05 dismount up to level deduction, doing full instead would be no deduction.

UB - doesn’t matter which bar for clear hip.

@wandrewsjr, can you help me figure out how to have an up-to-level floor with only 2 passes and NO front layout? Thanks!

As most said the special requirements(except for vault) are not that different. Main differences:

UB - B turn or flight
BB - series must include a flight element (just FYI handstand BHS cannot count for level 8, both elements must pass thru not just achieve vertical and a 2nd acro flight is not a special requirement but a composition deduction, see below)
FX - 2 salto pass and 3 saltos total

Other then these the main differneces are needing 4 B’s(so more difficult elements) and composition deductions. Here are the most common(Most common not all) composition deductions taken at level 8. At level 8 looking for a balance of B’s between acro and dance and B’s to fulfill special requirements. Comp deductions are used at the higher levels to separate those performing more difficult routines with more variety.

Beam
Acro not up to level - up to 0.2
Dance not up to level - up to 0.2
Dismount not up to level - up to 0.1
Failure to perform acro in both directions - 0.1
Lack of dance series - 0.2

Floor
Acro not up to level - up to 0.2
Dance not up to level - up to 0.2
Last salto not up to competitive level - up to 0.1
Failure to perform saltos in both directions - 0.1
No B turn - 0.2

To use as an example, the routines M2Abi describe above would receive the following comp ded:

UB - none
BB - none (including a dance series with 2 B’s like straddle jump/split jump and an A turn would cover dance comp)
FX - acro not up to level 0.1 (adding common leap passage like switch leap/straddle jump and a B turn like 1 1/2 would cover dance comp)

Feel free to ask any follow up questions!
What would be the composition deduction for a three pass routine of:
FH FLO FT
RO BHS Full
RO BHS BLO

I think (?) she would get a deduction for the last salto being a layout but she is too afraid to ask the coaches to switch the order of her passes.

What would be the composition deduction for a three pass routine of:
FH FLO FT
RO BHS Full
RO BHS BLO

I think (?) she would get a deduction for the last salto being a layout but she is too afraid to ask the coaches to switch the order of her passes.
Yes, she will get hit twice because of the back layout pass being last. 0.1 for acro not up to competitive level and 0.1 for last salto not up to competitive level. Putting either of the other passes last would save 0.1 deduction.

Yes, she will get hit twice because of the back layout pass being last. 0.1 for acro not up to competitive level and 0.1 for last salto not up to competitive level. Putting either of the other passes last would save 0.1 deduction.
Would you happen to know anything about NGA level 8 and if there are the same type of “up to level deductions?”

Would you happen to know anything about NGA level 8 and if there are the same type of “up to level deductions?”
NGA execution chart lists a composition deduction of up to 0.5 for levels 6-10 for “not up to competitive level”. No further clarifications.

NGA execution chart lists a composition deduction of up to 0.5 for levels 6-10 for “not up to competitive level”. No further clarifications.
This is so confusing because my girls are unclear for instance if they need a "sideways/forwards" skill on beam for level 8 and 9 in NGA like USAG requires. We can't find any info ourselves! Ugh. Thank you! :)

Just out of curiosity, would you be allowed to do a front walkover front tuck beam dismount in USAG level 8? If so, would the front walkover count as the forward/sideways element? Also, would there be any "not up to competitive level" deductions? I've never seen any level 8s compete this dismount before, but I think it would be pretty cool.

Just out of curiosity, would you be allowed to do a front walkover front tuck beam dismount in USAG level 8? If so, would the front walkover count as the forward/sideways element? Also, would there be any "not up to competitive level" deductions? I've never seen any level 8s compete this dismount before, but I think it would be pretty cool.
You could do that dismount combo and it would not incur any up to the level for the dismount as it is a B skill connected to an A dismount.
The front walkover is a front skill that starts and ends on the beam so it would fulfill the fwd/side category.

All such great information! Very Interesting and helpful thread. Still, I am a bit confused. So DD skills for this year are as follows, if anyone would be so kind as to let me know the deductions right off the bat,:

Vault: yerchenko tuck

Bars: kip cast handstand 1/2 pirouette, kip pike on jump to high kip cast handstand, toe hand, giant, giant, double back

Beam: backhandspring loso, back tuck, switch leap sisone, full turn, round off layout dismount.

Floor: switch leap straddle, 1 1/2 turn, front handspring, front layout, front tuck, Ro back handspring full.

Sorry about any misspelled skills and Thanks in advanced

All such great information! Very Interesting and helpful thread. Still, I am a bit confused. So DD skills for this year are as follows, if anyone would be so kind as to let me know the deductions right off the bat,:

Bars: kip cast handstand 1/2 pirouette, kip pike on jump to high kip cast handstand, toe hand, giant, giant, double back

Beam: backhandspring loso, back tuck, switch leap sisone, full turn, round off layout dismount.

Floor: switch leap straddle, 1 1/2 turn, front handspring, front layout, front tuck, Ro back handspring full.

No deductions. Some of these skills are on the “more advanced” end of level 8. Ex. The double back dismount & bhs, layout stepout

There is a composition deduction for not up to level on floor in a two pass routine. A lot of coaches go this route because a 3rd pass or C skill would incur more deductions. If she can do a 1 1/2 instead of the full there is no deduction or she could add a 3rd pass.

There is a composition deduction for not up to level on floor in a two pass routine. A lot of coaches go this route because a 3rd pass or C skill would incur more deductions. If she can do a 1 1/2 instead of the full there is no deduction or she could add a 3rd pass.
Totally missed that there were only two passes. I think my brain saw 1 1/2 and thought 1 1/2 twist not turn

Beam has 0.1 dance not up to level deduction because only one dance B. Changing the Sissone to a split or straddle jump would eliminate this deduction.

Floor has 0.15 acro up to level deduction because one of 2 passes only has one salto. A 2 pass routine for level 8 needs both passes to have 2 saltos in connection to get no deduction. Making it a C wouldn’t help(unless connecting that C to a salto), all C’s are rewarded B credit in level 8. But as others say, this is sometimes a coaching choice to go for clean and minimal routine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back